Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reverse lights no workey
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
dry.gif

I don’t think about them often as I haven’t been driving the car much at night but I’d really like to get them working again...

I’ve checked the transmission pin, that’s fine. My mechanic buddy got them to operate with a power probe, so it’s not the bulbs...

I suck at schematics rolleyes.gif

Any tips greatly appreciated

Here’s my tip, get your colonoscopies, dammit...

Thanks gents beerchug.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jun 6 2023, 01:36 PM) *

dry.gif

I don’t think about them often as I haven’t been driving the car much at night but I’d really like to get them working again...

I’ve checked the transmission pin, that’s fine. My mechanic buddy got them to operate with a power probe, so it’s not the bulbs...

I suck at schematics rolleyes.gif

Any tips greatly appreciated

Here’s my tip, get your colonoscopies, dammit...

Thanks gents beerchug.gif

could just be the pin is loose or one of the 2 pins, the switch can go bad, i replaced mine this year with a new one and new pin
windforfun
"Here’s my tip, get your colonoscopies, dammit..."

That's for sure. An old buddy of mine died from colon cancer because he refused to get them.

confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
Porschef
Thanks Doc, but the transmission pin switch is working

So…
GregAmy
VOM, brother. Check for 12V at one pin, wire continuity to the reverse lights on the other pin, and if the switch is working.

One of those will tell you where to check next.
Porschef
Thanks Greg

Where might that pin be?
GregAmy
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jun 6 2023, 01:18 PM) *
Where might that pin be?

The two electrical pins I'm talking about are the ones that go into the reverse light switch, port side of the transaxle, up and aft of the left CV joint. One will have 12 power (with the key on) the other will go to the reverse lights. Gray with red wires?

If you remove (carefully) those pins and touch them together (with the key on) the reverse lights should illuminate. If they do, then the problem is with the switch. If they don't, then you either don't have 12V to one of those wires, or you have discontinuity from the other wire to the reverse lights. Or burned out lamps.

Could also be fuse 9, but I think dash warning lights are on that same circuit. - GA
Porschef
Thanks Greg beerchug.gif
mgphoto
You do know that the “pin” that turns on the reverse light switch is a wear item. It’s soft metal meant to wear as opposed to the internal transmission part that pushes the pin into the switch.
The pin has a circlip offset from the middle to insure it is installed properly.
When the pin is worn past its limit it can’t activate the reverse light switch.
Simple fix.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Jun 6 2023, 03:15 PM) *

You do know that the “pin” that turns on the reverse light switch is a wear item. It’s soft metal meant to wear as opposed to the internal transmission part that pushes the pin into the switch.
The pin has a circlip offset from the middle to insure it is installed properly.
When the pin is worn past its limit it can’t activate the reverse light switch.
Simple fix.

Simple fix... but the pin is NLA.

I think someone was making repos, but I don't remember who.

914Sixer
Just a quick grab, one of many. Original Porsche
rhodyguy
That’s really cool Mark. I’m amazed by what you can find. pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.