Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Something is wrong after AX today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grantsfo
During my last few runs at todays Marina AX my car was doing some strange stuff. During downshifts the tranny felt weird and right rear wheel would hop. Any ideas?
mihai914
CV Joint? confused24.gif
Series9
You need a 3.0+ /6 engine, connected to a WEVO-converted 915 tranny w/ limited slip. cool.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE (mihai914 @ Aug 14 2005, 06:50 PM)
CV Joint?  :confused:

Doesnt feel like a CV joint. No typical clunk clunk. It only does this during hard downshifts. And rear wheel literally hops in the air, with strange tranny feedback (feels like something is bouncing around). I was too tired to crawl around the car today. Will put it up on jack stands tomorrow to figurre this out.

I have new tranny mounts. I was thinking maybe motor mount was loose, but I couldnt find anything with quick crawl under the car.

I did notice I could move the right drive shaft back and forth a little (horizonital movement back and forth about 3/4 inch of free play) left one doesnt move. Is that normal?
grantsfo
QUOTE (914RS @ Aug 14 2005, 06:56 PM)
You need a 3.0+ /6 engine, connected to a WEVO-converted 915 tranny w/ limited slip. cool.gif

Know where I can get those cheap?
SirAndy
check the rubber engine mounts and rubber tranny mounts (if you still have 'em) ...

BTDT smash.gif Andy
kermit
Grant, when I read the heading "something wrong" and "ax", I thought you were talking about my driving today. laugh.gif
KenH
BOTH half shafts should move.

Ken
Joe Ricard
Your engine is for pushing the car not slowing it down. Brakes are for slowing the car down not pushing. SIMPLE.
The NASCAR guys sometimes do this too and break the rear gear pinion. SO don't do that !!!!

I imagine your shocks are not holding the tire to the ground as the rear of the car comes unloaded. More rebound needed.
grantsfo
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Aug 15 2005, 03:19 AM)
Your engine is for pushing the car not slowing it down.  Brakes are for slowing the car down not pushing.   SIMPLE.  
The NASCAR guys sometimes do this too and break the rear gear pinion.    SO don't do that !!!!

I imagine your shocks are not holding the tire to the ground as the rear of the car comes unloaded.   More rebound needed.

Yeah I know, but this was happening as I was braking and blipping the throttle during down shift. My Koni's are relatively new and set to firm in the rear so I dont think it was "driver error". I have been driving 914's for a long time and have never had tranny problems. I think something has come loose or is broken because I could feel the transmission move around. It was happening on my drive home too.

Once it stops drizzling here I'll check it out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.