Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side Mirrors on Wing Window
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
Been leaning toward using side mirrors that attache dto the triangular front glass. Want mirror as big a 911--must clear the post.

Did see a very nice pair on a Fer ?

Any pictures / suggestions will be appreciated
ArtechnikA
DON'T TRY TO DRILL THE GLASS!

place your faith in glue.

i've wondered if an A-pillar mount (a la new Testarossa) would work.
i like the wing window mount in concept but i like that they open, so i'm stuck with other alternatives. the 911 flag mirror is more period corrent for my car anyway...
jim_hoyland
Allen, do you have a picture of the mirrors we talked about Saturaday in San P ?
MoveQik
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Aug 15 2005, 04:41 AM)
i like the wing window mount in concept but i like that they open, so i'm stuck with other alternatives.

Your wing windows open??? Or did I read that wrong?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Aug 15 2005, 10:46 AM)
Your wing windows open??? Or did I read that wrong?

prolly shouldda mentioned: 911.
sorry about the confusion...
MoveQik
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Aug 15 2005, 06:54 AM)
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Aug 15 2005, 10:46 AM)
Your wing windows open???  Or did I read that wrong?

prolly shouldda mentioned: 911.
sorry about the confusion...

Nevermind.....
Allan
QUOTE (jim_hoyland @ Aug 15 2005, 07:04 AM)
Allen, do you have a picture of the mirrors we talked about Saturaday in San P ?

Here's a pic of one style I liked. I'm trying to find the other pics.
Allan
Other side
flesburg
I fabricated the mounts and used a 3M tape to hold them to the glass. Anything much bigger might be a problem.
jim_hoyland
Nice; do the posts block the view ?
flesburg
The drivers side is okay, but the passenger side give a pretty limited view. I have a 5 panel wink on the inside, and overall have good rearward vision.

I just like the way they look. The little mirrors are made by the some co that makes tornado (sp?) mirrors, and they are cheap, under $20 each. They took a lot of time to make however. The bases are cut out of 1/4" thick plexiglass, sanded and shaped and painted. The mirrors screw to the bases, and then the bases were taped to the window.

More of an unusual look that anything else I have seen, and if you do not like them, no big $ loss.
pjhaun
Here is a picture of my car with BMW M3 mirrors attached to wing window with silicone.
Bee Jay
I bought pexiglass vent windows and mounted M3 replicas. Check it out here: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p...2754&uid=598455
Bee Jay
Rough_Rider
Don't have a pic on my work machine.

I made some plexiglass windows, takes about 20 minutes per side.
Drilled them & mounted some carbon fiber formula mirrors, from SPA. Vision is adequate, fiddly to adjust as there's individual screws for each axis.

Looks cool though & the whole things is extremly light.
STL914
QUOTE (pjhaun @ Aug 17 2005, 08:39 PM)
Here is a picture of my car with BMW M3 mirrors attached to wing window with silicone.

Is that a sun roof in the targa top? And do you have a trailer hitch mounted in the car?
jim_hoyland
How much surface area is holding those to the glass ? Nice!!!
pjhaun
QUOTE (STL914 @ Aug 18 2005, 08:19 AM)
QUOTE (pjhaun @ Aug 17 2005, 08:39 PM)

Is that a sun roof in the targa top? And do you have a trailer hitch mounted in the car?

STL914 (Gary):

Yes to both questions. I adapted a bike rake to the trailer hitch. The trailer was made in Canada and it is basically designed for a touring motorcycle.
pjhaun
QUOTE (jim_hoyland @ Aug 18 2005, 08:22 AM)
How much surface area is holding those to the glass ? Nice!!!

jim hoyland:

I am at work right now; so I will have to measure the mirrors when I get home. But these side mirrors are also break away. When I push on the mirror with so force they will fold back and then spring back. These particular mirrors have turn signals lights in them. I have them wired up for blue turn signal lights.
jim_hoyland
Thanks: do you still have the model/part number ? Checked the Pelican PArts site, they list ( no pictures) several models.

Got a recommended place to purchase ? Are there good used available ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.