Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gauge testing ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschetub
Have a 911 temp insert I'am fitting to a 914 fuel gauge,I have 2 inserts but only one works but connecting power and earth to battery,needle go's straight to full reading is that correct ?.
If thats correct I want to test with sender,presuming if I connect sender to "G" on the rear of the gauge and earth the body of sender before applying heat to it ?.
This isn't going in my car as I have all the 911 gauges sorted in my "6" conversion but a good winter project inside with the heating on biggrin.gif .
TIA ,cheers.
Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Sounds correct so far. I've known a few folks that put a temp sender in boiling water to check the gauge.

I haven't had a temp gauge ever partially go bad on me. It's always the sender that seems to fail.
FlacaProductions
I agree - I've done it just like that with a numbered gauge to confirm the sender.
porschetub
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jun 13 2023, 12:21 PM) *

Sounds correct so far. I've known a few folks that put a temp sender in boiling water to check the gauge.

I haven't had a temp gauge ever partially go bad on me. It's always the sender that seems to fail.

Thanks ,I'am the most unlucky guy with old VDO gauges,so will see how I go .
Stopped buying used 911 tacho's as have had 1 fail not including the silver dot that came with the car.
Currently looking @ a change to the gauge driver in my original gauge ,module uses modern tech and solders in to the old board with becomes redundant after fitting,got it from Bob @ ashlocktech ,top guy to deal with.
As far if I can tell this temp gauge will pin out to max with power and ground connected but when the sender is in the system it should return to zero then rise when heat is applied..... hopefully.
Morrie
Hey guys,

That looks like the housing for a 68-69 912 gauge. (Posts on the back?) If that is the source then be aware that the original gauges for these do not operate the same way as a 911 dual gauge would from the 70s and later. These early gauges require a special (read "expensive") sender as the original sender is NLA. They operate "opposite" of the modern gauges, meaning when doing the open/shorted test to peg the meter left and right, the early gauges operate in the opposite direction. Just be aware to avoid frustration.

Best,
Morrie
porschetub
QUOTE(Morrie @ Jun 17 2023, 04:44 AM) *

Hey guys,

That looks like the housing for a 68-69 912 gauge. (Posts on the back?) If that is the source then be aware that the original gauges for these do not operate the same way as a 911 dual gauge would from the 70s and later. These early gauges require a special (read "expensive") sender as the original sender is NLA. They operate "opposite" of the modern gauges, meaning when doing the open/shorted test to peg the meter left and right, the early gauges operate in the opposite direction. Just be aware to avoid frustration.

Best,
Morrie

Sorry for the late reply,keen eyes and yes you are correct it had studs on the back and part number says you are correct on the origin also,this was just temp gauge and I only bought it for the glass face and bezel ring as the face is rusty ,darn it.
Will take what you said on board,cheers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.