Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash switch install help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WizPorsche914
Hey guys I just replaced my basket weave trim on my 914 and I am having trouble getting the switches back in place, is there a tool or a trick to install the small round metal pieces behind the knobs ? I cannot seem to get them to tread back into the switch behind the dash. Thanks.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(WizPorsche914 @ Jun 12 2023, 07:32 AM) *

Hey guys I just replaced my basket weave trim on my 914 and I am having trouble getting the switches back in place, is there a tool or a trick to install the small round metal pieces behind the knobs ? I cannot seem to get them to tread back into the switch behind the dash. Thanks.

On everything but the headlight switch, you can use a dime to turn them.

Clay
WizPorsche914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 12 2023, 09:05 AM) *

QUOTE(WizPorsche914 @ Jun 12 2023, 07:32 AM) *

On everything but the headlight switch, you can use a dime to turn them.

Clay

What is different on the headlight switch ?
76-914
The stem sticks out so you need to take a 3/8" washer and cut a slot in it. When reinstalling work left to right.
ClayPerrine
I have an old cheap flathead screwdriver with a 3/8 washer welded to the end, and a slot cut in the washer. The outsides of the washer are ground down so it is not too wide.

Dave_Darling
I have used needle-nose pliers and (large) snap-ring pliers in the holes or grooves in the "escutcheon" (which is what those threaded parts are called in the manual). I've also been able to get them started by hand, then push on the face of the escutcheon while turning it and get them reasonably tight that way. You need to hold the switch to keep it from spinning, though.

--DD
r_towle
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 12 2023, 11:48 AM) *

I have an old cheap flathead screwdriver with a 3/8 washer welded to the end, and a slot cut in the washer. The outsides of the washer are ground down so it is not too wide.

Awesome
mepstein
There’s a socket that’s made to install and remove the aluminum piece. Doesn’t cost mych. Worth having in the toolbox.
Garland
Here you go

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 4 2018, 07:47 PM) *

QUOTE(cary @ Nov 4 2018, 08:37 PM) *

Thanks. Ordered. I hate using needle nose pliers. If the part is tight, they slip and scratch it up.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Garland @ Jun 13 2023, 07:17 AM) *

Here you go

Thanks. Ordered. I hate using needle nose pliers. If the part is tight, they slip and scratch it up.

Group buy?

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 13 2023, 08:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Garland @ Jun 13 2023, 07:17 AM) *

Here you go

Group buy?

Well.. so much for that..... Aircooled. net is either out of business or headed that way.

Click to view attachment
Steve
https://www.jbugs.com/product/VW012941.html...MRoCRTMQAvD_BwE and its cheaper
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes they make a tool that looks like a screw driver with a slot in the middle, reaily available

QUOTE(WizPorsche914 @ Jun 12 2023, 05:32 AM) *

barefoot
I cut a slot in a nickel. works fine smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.