Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trunk Release Solenoid Stopped Working
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rick986
Switch won't release trunk lid. Looks like a load is being put on the system when I press the button but nothing happens. How in the hell do I get it open now...especially with the top in there?
Shivers
I’m going to be using the same on mine.
Did a bunch of reading here and some
experimenting. Try having someone push
down on the trunk when you push the trunk
release button to take the pressure off the latch.
I plan on using a timer with the relay to give me
8-10 seconds to get out of the car and push down
on the trunk when it has garment bags and the top
in back.
Rick986
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jun 12 2023, 07:36 AM) *

in back.

Thanks man. I'll try that...but there's no "pop" to the switch. It doesn't work! But I'll give this a shot. Appreciate the reply.
rhodyguy
Even with the solenoid you should install a manual release wire that goes thru the trunk floor and hangs down. For exactly what you’re experiencing.
76-914
Rick, if you need a replacement I have one.
NARP74
Slightly off topic question, how did you wire it in? Where did you get power from and what switch did you use and where did you locate it? Mine came with some of the install completed, but not all of it. still using in in manual mode. Thanks
r_towle
I think you may need to remove the trunk hinges and springs from the car
Shivers
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jun 12 2023, 07:05 AM) *

Slightly off topic question, how did you wire it in? Where did you get power from and what switch did you use and where did you locate it? Mine came with some of the install completed, but not all of it. still using in in manual mode. Thanks

I have put some thought to it. I used two amp levels for my tests. Higher amp
Levels worked better so I will be coming directly off the battery to a relay / timer.
I will energize the relay with a button that I will locate in the glove box.
That way I can lock the trunk by locking the glove box.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
certainly hold down on the trunk lid while hot wiring the trunk lead directly to the battery
Rick986
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jun 12 2023, 08:05 AM) *

Was installed when I bought the car...
ClayPerrine
I actually like the idea of running a second engine lid release above the original and hooking it to the trunk latch.

I saw it on here years ago, but I can't remember who did it.

Rick986
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 12 2023, 08:53 AM) *

I think you may need to remove the trunk hinges and springs from the car

How would I begin to go about that?
Rick986
QUOTE(Rick986 @ Jun 12 2023, 07:41 AM) *

in back.

Thanks man. I'll try that...but there's no "pop" to the switch. It doesn't work! But I'll give this a shot. Appreciate the reply.

It worked! Thanks guys.....
Literati914
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jun 12 2023, 10:06 AM) *

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jun 12 2023, 07:05 AM) *

I have put some thought to it. I used two amp levels for my tests. Higher amp
Levels worked better so I will be coming directly off the battery to a relay / timer.
I will energize the relay with a button that I will locate in the glove box.
That way I can lock the trunk by locking the glove box.

Hey Shivers, please do a thorough write up on your install.. sounds like yours is gonna be done right. I have a manual unit and an electric one, I like that idea of locking the trunk via the glove box popcorn[1].gif

Literati914
QUOTE(Rick986 @ Jun 12 2023, 10:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Rick986 @ Jun 12 2023, 07:41 AM) *

in back.

It worked! Thanks guys.....

So all you ended up having to do was push down on the lid after all?

r_towle
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 12 2023, 11:50 AM) *

I actually like the idea of running a second engine lid release above the original and hooking it to the trunk latch.

It seems on many of the Porsche cars...adding a manual cable safety latch actuator is normal smile.gif

356 comes out the front fender, so does the 997.
I have not taken a look at the G-body 911, but I am going to add one..just because failure will happen some day.

I can't recall the motion of the latch in the 914, but I recall seeing someone drop a wire straight down and that was simple and worked.

Getting to it with whatever muffler etc....weird and hard.

I laughed when I saw the 997 has an engine lid wire behind the rear taillight that you must remove...which requires opening the engine lid. (the circular logic of Porsche engineers makes me laugh sometimes)

Now that I think about it....a tiny hole just above the rear latch would allow you to poke the latch open.
Personally I would go for it, and make some cool trim to plug the hole.
But I am lazy, and I don't have a show car.
Literati914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 12 2023, 10:50 AM) *

You didn’t see it from me, but my current project car is set up this way with a manual pull for the rear trunk lid, the handle sitting just above the original one for the engine lid. I got a “trick” rolleyes.gif D-style pull for it from a 914/6GT, 911rs, st confused24.gif . For my restoration, I’m adding rubber hold down tabs for the trunk lid and eliminating the external lock (covering the area with and old round 356 badge). So looking at it, you’d think there is no lock for the trunk just rubber tabs. I’ve got an electric version that’ll go on a future project.

rhodyguy
Piano wire and a SS flat washer. It’s hung discretely. No one will ever see it. Running a hot wire from the GB to the back of the car seems the long path. Remember to fuse it.
Shivers
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 12 2023, 10:21 AM) *

Piano wire and a SS flat washer. It’s hung discretely. No one will ever see it. Running a hot wire from the GB to the back of the car seems the long path. Remember to fuse it.

I will be doing the same. I was going to go to my local hobby shop
and get a aircraft control cable and the connector for a large servo.
Just drill a hole in the arm that drops down, a hole in the solenoid
bracket and a small hole in the floor.

All you need is a low amp wire to the GB for the button. The high amp run
will come from the relay in the engine compartment.
rjames
If the Cap'n was here, he'd say throw the solenoid in the trash because they do fail, and the next time you may find yourself trying to open it from the access hole in the engine compartment. Not fun.

At the very least, install a pull down cable via a hole in the trunk if you plan on keeping it.
Craigers17
The wheel part is probably overkill, but the angle of the pull is weird so I wanted it to pull smoothly. Eventually I'll shrink wrap the black taped part. I have a Porsche reflector, but no solenoid. This pull works fine, and is hidden unless you get up under the car.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

ClayPerrine
Personally, I don't like the rear reflectors. To me, they don't fit the spirit of a 914.

But if I were going to do one, I would put a tube from the latch around into the engine compartment, and put a knob on there like the one on the engine lid release. To get in the rear trunk, open the engine compartment and pull the knob for the rear trunk. Use the parts from the front trunk of a donor car and you can lock the trunk too.

No fooling around with a stainless steel wire that has spent hours hanging next to the hot exhaust. pinch.gif

Shivers
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 13 2023, 06:34 AM) *

Personally, I don't like the rear reflectors. To me, they don't fit the spirit of a 914.

But if I were going to do one, I would put a tube from the latch around into the engine compartment, and put a knob on there like the one on the engine lid release. To get in the rear trunk, open the engine compartment and pull the knob for the rear trunk. Use the parts from the front trunk of a donor car and you can lock the trunk too.

No fooling around with a stainless steel wire that has spent hours hanging next to the hot exhaust. pinch.gif

Click to view attachment

Not a fan of the reflector either, but to each his own. I do like the idea of the emergency
trunk release in the engine compartment. I will eyeball that for a bit.
Craigers17
Delete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.