Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The 914-Tartan Connection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Osnabruck914
Many 914 owners choose tartans in various color schemes as their seat upholstery. I personally do not have tartan in my car, however I appreciate the look, especially if the scheme is well coordinated with the color of the car, but I have always wondered why "Scottish Tartan" in a "German Car" ???

Can someone elaborate as to how this all started? Were tartan interiors an original option? Was a Scottish owner the first to install it and it just caught on? Did a Scottish dealership come up with this idea? Did a frugal owner, who needed to redo his seats, look around the house for material and only came up with a bolt of tartan his wife was saving for some Highland Games costumes?

Sorry for my ignorance, just puzzled by this clash of cultures.

I will await enlightenment while sipping a wee dram.

Osnabruck914

Superhawk996

1969 - early 70s. Bell bottoms, plaid was in. So was smoke.gif

Somewhere I have a terrible photograph of me in plaid bell bottoms that my mom must have bought for me barf.gif

Osnabruck914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jun 13 2023, 05:20 PM) *

Somewhere I have a terrible photograph of me in plaid bell bottoms that my mom must have bought for me barf.gif

You're not alone. My mom bought me those same pants. I have burned every photograph of me wearing them icon8.gif

Osnabruck914
SirAndy
QUOTE(Osnabruck914 @ Jun 13 2023, 02:14 PM) *
Were tartan interiors an original option?

Absolutely!

https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PaintFabrics.htm

beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Osnabruck914 @ Jun 13 2023, 02:14 PM) *
... I have always wondered why "Scottish Tartan" in a "German Car" ???

https://vintageuro.com/when-german-engineer...tan-upholstery/
idea.gif
Osnabruck914
Thanks SirAndy for clearing that up.

Osnabruck914
Jack Standz
We have an original tartan seat in our hoard, so can verify they did come from Porsche that way.

But, how about Pasha? Anyone have a Pasha 914? Wonder what that would look like.

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/11178...sha-only-3.html
Jack Standz
Never mind, answered my own question.
Front yard mechanic
Some look very natural in tartan not my car tho Click to view attachment
peteinjp
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Jun 14 2023, 10:17 AM) *

Some look very natural in tartan not my car tho Click to view attachment

This is making a better case for sequined rather than tartan seats IMO...

Anyway I'm so glad Osnabruck brought his up because I have never understood the reason for the fascination with tartan. No I can enjoy it a bit more in my own car which has tartan centers on the seats.

Pete
r_towle
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jun 13 2023, 05:20 PM) *

Pictures must be posted!!
BillJ
They were a 75 and 76 only option. Looks great in the cars i think.
Mikey914
Correct, Not sure how many cars were factory with the plaid ,but it looks good when done correctly.
I thought that resurrecting the material was worthwhile, so we did. Now we can get you all the tartan you want!! EVEN THROWS!
BillJ
My 75 had them as original equipment.
Steve
My 75 VW Sirocco also came with Orange plaid seats.
BillJ
Another shot prior to carpet and the restored center console.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(BillJ @ Jun 14 2023, 10:37 AM) *

Bill, thats a great looking /6!!! i hope you plan on bringing it to Okteenerfest this year so we can see it in person.

Phil
BillJ
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jun 14 2023, 04:28 PM) *

QUOTE(BillJ @ Jun 14 2023, 10:37 AM) *

Bill, thats a great looking /6!!! i hope you plan on bringing it to Okteenerfest this year so we can see it in person.

Phil

Thats the 1975 914 4 that i sold last year. It was a really nice car and now lives in Seattle.
flat4guy
Click to view attachment
It just looks good
burton73
QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 14 2023, 07:35 AM) *

My 1973 VW Westfalia Orange camper that I got delivery in Germany at camper factory.

Great fun in Europe for 90 days

Bob B
Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
Does anyone know what years the tartan cloth was available?

BillJ
75 and 76 only
wonkipop
QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 14 2023, 08:35 AM) *

the tartan in 914s was a spillover from the new scirocco which started production in late 74 as a 75 model. at the karmann factory. it was part of the whole new design and look of VWs that were going water cooled. i could be wrong but i think the scirocco was the first water cooled to go into production. might have even beat the golf. not entirely positive on that.
bludden
I’ve purchased Tartan fabric for my seats, but they were refinished so well in leather, that I hate tearing them apart.

The pattern was designed by the government of Scotland for people involved in the ballistic submarine base at Holy Loch to wear. I managed to sneak in, having tore my ACL on the first liberty out to Danoon. It’s green and blue and should go well with Alaska Blue Metallic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.