Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: F1 safety car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SKL1
So I'm waiting for F1 qualy to start in Canada and there is a story on the F1 site about the first F1 safety car at Canada 50 years ago... and it was a yellow 914!

Thought I knew most of the 914 trivia but had never heard that before!

Only problem was they picked up the wrong car for the leader, and it took quite a while before they knew Peter Revson was the winner...

Didn't see another safety car for 5 years...
Montreal914
smile.gif driving.gif

This was posted by @Wyvern

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=273531
mgphoto
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jun 17 2023, 12:17 PM) *

So I'm waiting for F1 qualy to start in Canada and there is a story on the F1 site about the first F1 safety car at Canada 50 years ago... and it was a yellow 914!

Only problem was they picked up the wrong car for the leader, and it took quite a while before they knew Peter Revson was the winner...

Another 914 was outfitted with fire suppression equipment for use in formula 1, Helmut Marko of Red Bull raced a 914.
wonkipop
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jun 17 2023, 01:17 PM) *

just been watching the qualifying highlights down here somewhere north of the south pole. what a session.

go the hulk. beerchug.gif
good thing he did not have a 914 in front of him.

verstappen is an emotionless dutch machine, kind of like schumacher the robot.
its impressive for sure. but sometimes its hard to get excited.
but i just love it when someone with a bit of a dry sense of humour and a vaguely scandinavian mind set rocks the boat. the hulk. hes got a touch of the kimi r to him?

as usual alonso is proving what a laid back total master he is.
terrific driver having a ball at the end of his career.

love the canadian grand prix. always have. its a great race.
lets see who the wall of champions claims this year.
i hope its george russell. he embodies everything i hate as an australian.

also i derive a great deal of pleasure watching ferrari screw up yet again.
italians! fix it again tony.
rgalla9146
Today on the Montreal pre race show Natalie Pinkham, Danica Patrick and Jensen Button did an interesting piece noting it as the 50th anniversary of the Safety car in F1
No mention about the first one or any others that were used.
Mercedes wouldn't want to share any credit ? sad.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 18 2023, 06:33 PM) *

Today on the Montreal pre race show Natalie Pinkham, Danica Patrick and Jensen Button did an interesting piece noting it as the 50th anniversary of the Safety car in F1
No mention about the first one or any others that were used.
Mercedes wouldn't want to share any credit ? sad.gif

merc got their due karma.
george russel didn't hit the wall of champions, instead smacked another one just as good.
beerchug.gif

Bullethead
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Jun 17 2023, 09:51 PM) *

Another 914 was outfitted with fire suppression equipment for use in formula 1, Helmut Marko of Red Bull raced a 914.

The O.N.S Safety car

Click to view attachment

And of course this creation should have been the next iteration... at least in KJ's mind:

https://www.gunnarracing.com/Misc/914-6%20T...uck/080411.html
ClayPerrine
In the pre-race show, they showed footage of the first F1 safety car, a yellow 73 914 2.0.

Mark Henry
I'm pretty sure I was there, but I don't remember it. My older brother took me to almost every F1 (grand prix) and CanAm race at Mosport in the late 60's and early 70's. Usually a long weekend and we would camp the weekend.

I don't think it was the first time Mosport ever used a safety car, it was just the first time for an F1 race.
BTW the first F1 safety car would have been at the Mosport track, not Montreal.
mgphoto
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 19 2023, 05:12 AM) *

In the pre-race show, they showed footage of the first F1 safety car, a yellow 73 914 2.0.

A company called Siku made a model.

Click to view attachment
mgphoto
QUOTE(Bullethead @ Jun 19 2023, 04:51 AM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Jun 17 2023, 09:51 PM) *

The O.N.S Safety car

Click to view attachment

And of course this creation should have been the next iteration... at least in KJ's mind:

https://www.gunnarracing.com/Misc/914-6%20T...uck/080411.html

A company called SRC makes a slot car of this.

Click to view attachment

I think this is version 2 of the car?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 19 2023, 08:12 AM) *

Guess I missed that part. sad.gif
GregAmy
There's video of it out there, I saw it many many moons ago. Like Mark said, it was at Mosport (one of my fav racing tracks).
wonkipop
think this is it.

Click to view attachment
flipb
Does anyone know what happened to the 1973 F1 safety car? The original vehicle? Is the VIN known?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.