Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoration Progress?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
Got my car back from th epainter last week and have been depressed ever since! He claims he wanted to do it right and remove all the panels before painting. Every set of panels he painted (on separate days) came out a different shade?? This pic gives you an idea - look at the door difference! Is this guy a total incompetent? What could cause this?
tdgray
Well... let's see.

Could be several different things. Wrong pressure, bad bake but my guess...

HE DIDN'T MATCH THE COLOR RIGHT dry.gif

Depending on how old the paint job was it could be a difference from sun fade or chemical breaksown (really the same thing).

It takes a talented painter to "panel paint" a part of the car. They would have to custom mix the paint. This takes great skill and even then you would be able to tell slightly.

The most common practice is to blend the color. This invloves paint some of the front fender and some of the back fender at the same time as the door. The painter just sort of "fades" teh new color into the old. Most of the time IF the color is matched close enough you will have a hard time telling.

Dude, get a new painter... this guy has no idea what he is doing unsure.gif
redshift
shit...

=\

M
tdgray
Sorry I just re-read your (cleaned up?) post.

This is an all over WTF ohmy.gif

All the above still applies. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER try to panel paint a car. 9 out 10 times it will look like this.

Different temps, humidity, air pressures, paint mixtures. All this will make the chance of getting a good paint job very remote.

The last statement stands as well... get a new painter. mad.gif
ChrisFoley
Hey,
You Ohio guys!
Are you planning on spectating at the SCCA Runoffs at Mid-Ohio in a month? 914club Barbeque at our paddock on Saturday evening 9/24.

BTW,
sorry about the paint job. sad.gif
tdgray
Hell ya Chris... first I heard of it but I am in.

PM me some details if ya get the chance. I will forward to Doug et all.

MoveQik
I would raise hell until he repaints the thing. It would obviously be pretty difficult for him to deny that he f'd it up.
rhodyguy
wow sad.gif . hate to add to the pain. why did he skip the longs and lip where the rockers lay in? i think that's going to show mad.gif the overspray on the control arm ends is a nice touch wacko.gif . i take it he ran out of masking paper. bummer, sorry.

k
bondo
Oh man, poor adobe! Is that a metallic? Those a super sensitive to matching. Even if not, it's got to all be painted on the same day. Even if he did mess up (even the best painters have bad days) he should never have returned the car to you in that condition.
DonTraver
Sorry about your paint, BUT, it may not be the painters fault.

Years ago I bought a qt of Dupont paint for a flame job I was doing on a bike. None of the flames matched color, I thought it was me so stripped it down, did it again, still sucked, did it again, same results.

I'm scratching my head, I've already lost my butt on this job. Talking to a couple of friends, one tells me that Dupont put out new paint cans with a new type sealer in the seams that screws up the paint color.

Now, I'd already called the Dupont paint store a couple of times asking them if there was anything I'd done wrong, the F**KS didn't say a word.

I went back, mentioned what my friend had told me, they confirmed it, offered to replace my paint, but zip on my labor, gave me the "that's the extent of our liability", song and dance. I told them they were a sorry bunch of MF'ers, I don't want your crap paint, and will never buy from Dupont again and will let everyone know about their crap.

Switched to PPG, so far so good, but then they'd probably give me the same line of crap too. Too many damn lawyers and scumbags if you ask me. ar15.gif Wow, haven't thought of that in years, it happened about 10-12 years ago, still pisses me off.

Could be the same thing for you, most paints are very forgiving, they have to be, they're not all going to be used in climate controlled enviorements (sp).

I painted my six one panel at a time in my driveway, then had to do her again after one guy backed over the front end while I was parked at Harbor Freight, and again after I lost it on turn 2 at Willow Springs Streets, tires hadn't warmed up yet, only doing 25-30 broke lose big time.

Hope it works out for you, take care, Don
tat2dphreak
mad.gif dude, that sux.. that guy needs to be beaten! chair.gif

the fact he even let that leave his shop is a testament to how piss-poor his quality is... any shop with pride would have re-did it until it was right...
DonTraver
Forgot something. Did you have a sealer coat shot before the color coats? If not, the original color can bleed thru, especially if it was a darker color.

One qt of sealer with put 2 coats on a 914, then you wet sand it lightly with 400, dry, wipe and shoot your color coats.

What ever happened, it should not have left the shop in that condition. If he doesn't correct the problem, your only recourse might be Small Claims Court. Take pictures, lots of pictures, also get a small voice operated tape recorder, go talk to him, let him see the recorder DO NOT hide it. If you hide it, then you're in the wrong. Take a friend with you as a witness.

It's amazing what the tape recorder will do, people start telling the truth, even goverment employees. I use one everytime I have to deal with the government and assholes in general. Works everytime.

You can find them real easy at most college book stores.

Good Luck, Don
rhodyguy
wait until i provide transcripts of your reply to the dept of homeland security don. you won't be so clever then. dry.gif biggrin.gif there will be pictures, and lots of them!! and the tape recorder will be hidden.

k
john rogers
Whoa, that is a pretty bad mismatch! Just one word to cure it: GarageLosPanchos!
DonTraver
Screw homeland security, still a bunch of government jerks ripping off the people for nothing. Don't even get me started on government waste. Isn't homeland security the assholes that recently "lost" a couple of Billion. How do you lose a Billion, theft maybe?

They record me, so I record them, if you're afraid of a tape recorder, what are you trying to hide?

Use it, it's a shame you have to make people be honest, but who would you rather be, the screwer or the screwey, if you don't protect yourself, who will, and I'm tired of being ripped off by scumbags.

Rant over.

Sorry about the hijack, good luck on your paint. Later,Don
rhodyguy
i like the brace of high end jetskis' that protect all the ferry boats up here. you never see them when puget sound has a 3' chop and the air temp is 45*. i'll stop before things get out of control and this thread gets locked down. happy monday ya'll.

k
bondo
Even if a couple different cans of paint didn't match, that could easily be fixed by intermixing all the paint. There shouldn't be a base color mismatch. I primed that car myself, with a buff colored primer that would be a perfect base coat for that color. (the buff primer is how it got the name "adobe")

Isn't this the same painter that called that color "close" to signal orange?
phantom914
QUOTE (bondo @ Aug 15 2005, 11:44 AM)
Isn't this the same painter that called that color "close" to signal orange?

I think it is a good practice to avoid color-blind painters.

Andrew
MoveQik
QUOTE (DonTraver @ Aug 15 2005, 07:18 AM)
Sorry about your paint, BUT, it may not be the painters fault.

Doesn't matter. Faulty materials...not the customer's problem. Let the shop deal with that issue. He should have never returned the car looking like that.
CptTripps
Man! When you called me last week to tell me, I had *NO* idea it was THAT bad.

I'd be at his door with a shotgun...I hope you kept most of the money you paid him for that mess.

Man...wow...poor adobe. sad.gif

I'll call you this week...been a long one.
Porsche Rescue
The first question is: Was this done by a professional in a commercial shop? If so, take it back and ask that it be repainted properly. You should get what you paid for, a professional paint job.
If however, this was done by an amateur friend or aquaintance at a bargain price, you have a different sort of problem. I would show him the mis-match and offer to work with him to get it right. Maybe pay all or part of the additional material needed for example. Simply making demands is not likely to get you very far. Unfortunately, you get what you pay for in this case as well.
MecGen
Well
All is not lost...a quick ruff up and a COMPLETE shoot, should fix it nicely.

My first question is how much did you pay ? either too much or not anough.

Later
scotty b
I routinely paint the panels off of the car BUT I do them in the booth, with the car. There is no excuse in the panels being painted on different days. NONE. I have never seen a real paint booth that would not fit a 914 and the seperate panels, yes it will be cramped but it avoids this very problem. I have a CRX at the shop right now that my bosses friend wants repainted. His previous painter decided to take some "liberty" and added some flame to the front of the car. The idiot shot the car red THEN taped off the front clip, shot it (the whole clip) black, taped out the flames, shot the silver flames, then taped out a second set and shot the red at the rear of the hood/fenders. Now the car is two drastically different shades of red. Just because a guy CAN shoot paint, doesn't mean he should owned.gif
turtleman
Sorry about the paint job, the body sure looks nice. Perhaps you should post the guys name and work telephone number. After he receives fifty or so phone calls from us suggesting he should have you bring it back so he can do it right, he might do it.

You could also tell him he will sleep better at night knowing his reputation is not destroyed. If he makes a quip about that you can give us his home phone number!!! Then he would realize he really would sleep better at night. hehehe

Chip
John
Sorry for my language, but that is a BULLSHIT paint job.

Your painter should repaint at no charge.

The paint should match no matter what. I'm just sorry that you recieved the car in that condition. I would have shot pics at his location and not accepted the car.

They would be respraying it if it was me. (But that's part of why I paint my own cars)

Did you want that dark of a shade of yellow? None of it really looks the right color. (it may be the digital pic)

Did they stir the paint? It doesn't look like they put the crack pipe down long enough to mix the paint well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.