Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Autox tire choices
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
jmargush
I am in need of new autox tires and the offerings have changed a bit since I last bought a set.

I am curious as to what people are running?, what do you like? is there a good trade off cost/performance?

I will be mounting them on 15x6 cookie cutters

brant
QUOTE(jmargush @ Jun 20 2023, 08:50 AM) *

I am in need of new autox tires and the offerings have changed a bit since I last bought a set.

I am curious as to what people are running?, what do you like? is there a good trade off cost/performance?

I will be mounting them on 15x6 cookie cutters

hoosier A7
autox or track
jmargush
I know Hoosiers are the best, but if you are on a slightly lower budget what else if good.
brilliantrot
Yokohama A052s are around 2 seconds per 60 (~3%) slower than A7s in my experience at autocross. We use them as a practice tire.

A7s are just WAY more fun if you are at the skill level to push the car to the limit and the chassis can take that much grip.
mskala
What are the limits for your car's class - diameter/width/treadwear-rating/etc ?
mskala
What are the limits for your car's class - diameter/width/treadwear-rating/etc ?
jmargush
QUOTE(mskala @ Jun 21 2023, 10:59 AM) *

Small region pca rules and i am in improved class so not much in the way of limits via rules.
But I can't run a tire larger than 205/50 15 due to wheels.

Sometimes it might be nice to run a 195/60 or 205/60 for taller gearing
Driver174
QUOTE(jmargush @ Jun 21 2023, 04:24 PM) *

Small region pca rules and i am in improved class so not much in the way of limits via rules.

What class do you plan to run? Street classes with 200 tread ware?

Bridgestone RE71R is currently the best choice for 200 tw.
jmargush
QUOTE(Driver174 @ Jun 23 2023, 07:59 AM) *

Thanks, that is good to know.

I am more than likely going for a DOT R tire.
Charles Freeborn
QUOTE(jmargush @ Jun 24 2023, 03:01 AM) *

QUOTE(Driver174 @ Jun 23 2023, 07:59 AM) *

Thanks, that is good to know.

I am more than likely going for a DOT R tire.

Hoosier / Continental have a new 200 tw tire that's getting good reviews, but not sure how it would perform at lower / AX temps. Toyo makes some DOT R tires, but again, not great when cold. I've run R888R's and RR's (full slick) but both are meant as a track tire and are miserable when cold.
Racer
I've been running Falken Azenis 615's for a few years (well, too long actually, they are now hard as rocks after 6 years)... but they work well.

If running PCA, small region classes, you are likely in a large class of possible old cars.. Thats how it is for me.. 356 through 986 boxster and including Cayenne. We don't have many people come out for that class (at most 2-3), so its more about the experience for some.. but its nice to surprise those new cars that have more than 100hp wink.gif

Any 205-50 15 "r" comp will work well enough. Lots of choices too, due to that being a "miata" tire size and well, miatas are everywhere. Find the one that fits your wallet and ego !

If you are running "improved", though, not sure what your class limits are, or what other types of cars can get grouped in with you. That said, as long as its not a HP course, a sticky enough tire can still be enough to mix it up well.

Years ago I ran an "improved" class 914/4. I was at the PCA ZONE 1 autocross - 2 day event. After day 1 on the "HP" course, I was in 6th place behind a string of 911s. Day 2 was the "drivers course" (ie, so tight and technical that HP didn't help) and was second that day by just a smidge.. Ended up 3rd overall. This was also back when "60 series performance tires" was not an oxymoron too.

Go, have fun.. and let others bask in the prowess of your "50 year old car" smile.gif
SirAndy
I used to swear by the really soft GoodYear R250 but alas they are not available anymore.

Switched to Hoosier R35B and they are awesome!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=351401

driving.gif
GregAmy
QUOTE(Charles Freeborn @ Jun 27 2023, 09:31 AM) *
Hoosier / Continental have a new 200 tw tire that's getting good reviews, but not sure how it would perform at lower / AX temps.

I'm running that on the historics 914. I'm not an autocrosser but they seem to be really consistent right out of the gate, not much warm up needed.

The Hoosier A7/R7 on the SCCA race car, on the other hand, do need a lap or two to be consistent. A7 gets there faster.
yeahmag
For autocross the Hoosier A7 is THE tire. That's all Evan and I run now. We've tried a bunch of different 200TW and R Comps.
914 Ranch
Thanks Aaron...
How much air do you run and what does your car weigh at this time?
brilliantrot
Aaron’s car is no feather weight. Around 2200lb with driver.

A tire engineer once told me 1psi per 100lbs is a good starting point and we have found that to be true. Aaron’s car is still a little camber limited so we usually run right around 23-24psi hot to try and keep the shoulder alive.

Here’s what 24psi in a 1.3g corner looks like. Pretty good stretch for a 205 on a 7in wheel.
Click to view attachment
jmargush
QUOTE(brilliantrot @ Jul 1 2023, 05:50 AM) *

Aaron’s car is no feather weight. Around 2200lb with driver.

A tire engineer once told me 1psi per 100lbs is a good starting point and we have found that to be true. Aaron’s car is still a little camber limited so we usually run right around 23-24psi hot to try and keep the shoulder alive.

Here’s what 24psi in a 1.3g corner looks like. Pretty good stretch for a 205 on a 7in wheel.
Click to view attachment

So you managed to get 7" cookies to fit? Did you have do so some fender pulling?
brilliantrot
A7s are wider than A6s were. Even with some pull, we still have a light rub on the inside and outside, need more of a pull but Aaron keeps thinking he will put on Gt flares one day. Fortunately for me he isn’t overly sentimental about the paint job he spent 3 years on.

Click to view attachment
yeahmag
I did build a buck and use a port-a-power to stretch the rears a bit and the lip is rolled over. To Evan's point, I'm not overly precious with the car. EVERYTHING needs to be just so to get the A7's on there though. Measure many times.

Happy to buy them off you for cheap if they don't fit ;-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.