Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mOnster garage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
charlesmac
Anyone see the write up in the hot vw's magazine about Jessie James getting together some vw guys (Clyde Berg is the only one i can remember at the moment) to build a drag bug out of a split window coupe? Ought to be pretty interesting. The air date is either the 22nd or 29th.
SLITS
barf.gif icon8.gif barf.gif
scotty b
I've got to be the a-hole to start this. I WILL not, and have refused to modify ANY pre '57 bug in a manner that cannot be easily undone. Why in the hell cut up a split or oval to build a damn drag car, when there are oodles of 60's on models out there, as well as "kits" to build an oval. If this is true I have lost what little respect I had left for the Berg family. I have NOTHING wrong with modifying a bug ion any way unless it is a split, oval or a 67. To add insult to injury that a-hole James goes home to Sandra Bullock wub.gif sheeplove.gif every night................ finger.gif
MecGen
agree.gif

Not a real split window ? lit OK

Later
Jake Raby
VW created them- We saw them up and make' em worth a damn.....

Its my mission to piss off every purist I see- usually in a cloud of tire smoke with an engine running cooler than their stocker!
Joe Ricard
Jake you need to put the Blue Bonic car on pinks. Watch them shit a brick after sand bagging the 1st two runs. burnout.gif
rick 918-S
Anyone can restore em, It takes a real man to cut one up! wub.gif BTW: We have a 57 rag were building for my youngest Rat Style like this! wub.gif
rick 918-S
or this one wub.gif
scotty b
I love the rats biggrin.gif I don't consider myself a "purist" I have no problem with lowering, bigger engine, shiny paint, etc. It's the tubbing and chopping on the pre '57 cars that pisses me off. I just feel like massive alterations that render the car "unrestorable" are tsupid. If you want to chop a top go get a 63 that isn't somewhat valuable. I made my first custom as a rod look '64 (never did finish it though unsure.gif ). Just don't destroy the splits and ovals PLEASE, and if you do finger.gif Nice vert by the way Jake smilie_pokal.gif
jasons
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Aug 15 2005, 05:07 PM)
Anyone can restore em, It takes a real man to cut one up! wub.gif BTW: We have a 57 rag were building for my youngest Rat Style like this! wub.gif

Heres an oval-rat for y'all.

user posted image

These guys make hairpin front ends for Volks-Rods

So-Cal Look Volks-rods
eds72
QUOTE (scotty b @ Aug 15 2005, 03:54 PM)
I've got to be the a-hole to start this. I WILL not, and have refused to modify ANY pre '57 bug in a manner that cannot be easily undone. Why in the hell cut up a split or oval to build a damn drag car, when there are oodles of 60's on models out there, as well as "kits" to build an oval. If this is true I have lost what little respect I had left for the Berg family. I have NOTHING wrong with modifying a bug ion any way unless it is a split, oval or a 67. To add insult to injury that a-hole James goes home to Sandra Bullock wub.gif sheeplove.gif every night................ finger.gif

Hey Scotty. I love original ovals and splits like anyone else, but if you're so offended by it, then you should make it your crusade to buy every oval and split ever built with the intent of horting them in YOUR garage so that they may never be modified.

As long as you don't own the pinks, then the real owners of these fine VW's should be able to do as they please with them.

BTW, should I not put a turboed 1914 in my daily driven 67?. Let me know if I can have your permission...
redshift
I had a 1955 sunburst Telecaster (sorry for guitar analogy) and they made like.. 15 sunburst '55 Teles.. and I didn't really get the Tele thing.. so I cut it into the shape of a fishing lure, and painted it so.

I would do this to any 700-800 dollar guitar... it was worth about that, before I did it, and now, it's worth about parts, instead of $15k.

Oh well, win a few, hack a few.

Funny thing is, I still didn't like it much.

M
brer
hell, it was probably rusted anyway.

besides, hot rods are a folk art.
i love porsche

why are you guys giving him a hard time, he has an extremely valid point...

tons of older cars are becoming more rare, pre A 356's, pre 57 vw's, etc and to cut them up and make rat rods out of them is taking away the historic value of the car and making them more rare. i know i want to see a pre A in person..and one that is privately owned, and even show my future son one..

cars like this are very important to history..and id wrather not see them dissapear into modified hulks.
jasons
QUOTE (i love porsche @ Aug 17 2005, 06:29 AM)
I've got to be the a-hole to start this. I WILL not, and have refused to modify ANY pre '57 bug in a manner that cannot be easily undone. Why in the hell cut up a split or oval to build a damn drag car, when there are oodles of 60's on models out there, as well as "kits" to build an oval. If this is true I have lost what little respect I had left for the Berg family. I have NOTHING wrong with modifying a bug ion any way unless it is a split, oval or a 67. To add insult to injury that a-hole James goes home to Sandra Bullock  :wub:  :miles: every night................ finger.gif

why are you guys giving him a hard time, he has an extremely valid point...

tons of older cars are becoming more rare, pre A 356's, pre 57 vw's, etc and to cut them up and make rat rods out of them is taking away the historic value of the car and making them more rare. i know i want to see a pre A in person..and one that is privately owned, and even show my future son one..

cars like this are very important to history..and id wrather not see them dissapear into modified hulks.

They're only cars.... Not Picasso's. Besides, they are only original once. After that, everything is an interpretation even if its a complete restoration. Sure some people blasphemize the original spirit of them, but the point is, they certainly have the right to.

FWIW, one of my best friends has a Pre-A he is restoring and I am sure it will be beautiful. Everything he touches comes out good. It actually is kind of a shame, the guy he got it from had rolled the rear fenders and made it an outlaw. So, my buddy is going to have to pie-cut them and reweld them to get them back to "original".

So I can see both sides of the argument.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.