Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil type for our 901 gearbox's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschetub
Changing oil in my VW Corrado and it makes more sense to buy 4L pack so I can do the 914 with the remaining 2L left.
Not trying to be cheap but more $$ sensible as oil is very expensive compared to the US,
My last oil change on my A6 TDI 3.0 was 24.50nzd /litre for a quality brand longlife.
TIA ,cheers.
MM1
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jun 21 2023, 11:19 PM) *

Changing oil in my VW Corrado and it makes more sense to buy 4L pack so I can do the 914 with the remaining 2L left.
Not trying to be cheap but more $$ sensible as oil is very expensive compared to the US,
My last oil change on my A6 TDI 3.0 was 24.50nzd /litre for a quality brand longlife.
TIA ,cheers.

Prices are ridiculous here (and around the world) too, so I hear ya. I'm switching to Costco synthetic (engine oil) since Mobil 1 is so much more expensive (at Costco now).

I'll defer to Dr. Evil, but I believe he recommends "Dino"-based GL5 . . .there's a thread here somewhere - hopefully one of the braintrust will chime in . . .
VaccaRabite
I've been running 90weight oil in mine for years. At the time it was what Mike recommended. In the last 15 years he may have upgraded his recommendation, but the 90wt dino certainly works and is cheap.

Zach
r_towle
Capn Crusty would be yelling
GL5 90 weight non synthetic is what the transmission, and specifically the syncros , are designed for.
Anything else could cause premature wear.

Rich
mepstein
Non synthetic. The cheap stuff. It’s also the right stuff for the trans.
Dave_Darling
The Cap'n and Doc Evil both say: GL5 NON-synthetic, and change it often. (Annually.)

--DD
JamesM
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 22 2023, 07:30 AM) *

Non synthetic. The cheap stuff. It’s also the right stuff for the trans.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

80/90
I find the cheaper stuff tends to actually work better. All the added friction modifiers in the pricier stuff just doesent play nice with old syncros.

Only part of the car where i intentionally aim for the cheapest stuff possible.

JamesM
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 22 2023, 03:25 PM) *

The Cap'n and Doc Evil both say: GL5 NON-synthetic, and change it often. (Annually.)

--DD

Ill have to add that to my yearly maintenance as I have not been nearly that aggressive with the gear oil. Seems almost wastefull as i dont think any of my 914s see even a 1000 miles a year anymore since i moved to Utah.

Also I have to multiply that change by 4x 914s

And I REALLY hate the smell of gear oil.

Like REALLY REALLY hate the smell
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.