Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil line on 914/6 touching exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning, so I did Moose but not all of the work on this build, and when I was under the car recently, I noticed that the oil line in the pictures is actually touching the exhaust pipe. That is obviously not good and needs to be corrected.

Because my first 914/6 build I don’t really have experience dies on set up and I’m wondering if it’s simply need to adjust the fittings or if it needs to be something that holds the oil line closer to the body of a car in off the exhaust or possibly a thinner wine used that will create necessary space.

For clarity purposes, I am pointing to the part of the oil return line that touches the exhaust tubing, obviously one is of the fittings, and then the last is where, if it’s not secured higher up the yellow arrow points to where the wine actually touch as the exhaust.

Any ideas or coaching that you all could offer?

Thank you!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Steve
There's a reason why the stock six cooler has the connector at the end, not the middle. Mine is also home made, but has the AN16 connector at the end of the cooler like an OEM Six Cooler.
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
I'm confused as to where that line is going from the cooler?
Is it going to the oil tank? Why does it angle over the headers like this?
idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 23 2023, 08:30 AM) *

I'm confused as to where that line is going from the cooler?
Is it going to the oil tank? Why does it angle over the headers like this?
idea.gif

Kinda hard to see in this pic, but i have a hard line running parallel to the header pipes to the firewall and then a soft line (missing in the pic) connects to the drain valve that comes off the tank (you can see that on the far left).
Of course, i also don't have an oil cooler on the engine, so that's not exactly applicable to you.

IPB Image
Root_Werks
I don't have a picture to show, but it's one of the reasons I sourced a stock 914-6 hard line off the engine case. It keeps the oil line away from headers/heater boxes.

That should be corrected, having a line rest directly on exhaust isn't good.
Steve
When I previously ran headers it didn't touch them. With the current MB911 heat exchangers, you can see the line resting on top of the heat exchanger, but it also has a heat blanket around the AN16 Line.
Click to view attachment
slivel
That line really must be moved. It will fail eventually. The line is just rubber-like material under the stainless-steel braid and the radiated heat will harden and crack it. I had an oil line from an oil filter adapter to an Accusump on a 944 Turbo that failed and had a large fire. In my case the line was at least two inches from the exhaust manifold but the radiant heat cooked the line. John Williamson was in my right seat at the time at Willow Springs. We got the meatball flag and pulled over at the next corner worker station. Two fire bottles later the fire was out but I had a big mess to clean up.
Retroracer
hi - so looks like when your 911 oil cooler was modified, the intake tube that runs under the cooling vanes to the outside edge was cut near the engine side, and an AN fitting welded there. Usually, the tube is left in place and modified to be a 90deg fitting (AN or otherwise) to clear the suspension ears. This means the flexible line portion remains out of the way of the headers.

Shots from the installation on mine, you can see the AN 90degree and subsequent line start point:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

In your installation, aside from the flexible line drooping onto the exhaust, access to the AN connector on the cooler looks tricky (without dropping the exhaust). The obvious solution is to modify or replace the oil cooler (not cheap), or fabricate some guide bracket to support the cable over the header?

And yes, you need to do something to stop the flexible line touching the header. That WILL fail over time.

- Tony
sixnotfour
@TDSkip ..Looks like the old Patrick Motorsport Method....
https://patrickmotorsports.com/products/oil90110705916pms
SirAndy
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 23 2023, 12:43 PM) *

That would work if you used a wide-bend 90 hard-line to get the right angle.
Still not ideal, but doable.
idea.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 24 2023, 10:00 AM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 23 2023, 12:43 PM) *

That would work if you used a wide-bend 90 hard-line to get the right angle.
Still not ideal, but doable.
idea.gif

agree.gif yes a "sweep bend " would sort it however its clear the cooler fitting is just in the wrong place ,mine is straight out the side.
I had a cooler spill its guts but the replacement was set up the same ,pic is it jigged up for welding before the support was added,the bend I have on the hose takes it out to the same place as a right angle weld on fitting would be,no clearance issue @ all .
Click to view attachment
All my hoses are Cohline as with the fittings as I wanted to keep it all metric and the PO supplied most of them and I got the rest from Stoddard and Elephant racing for the hose.
I would do the cooler mod in preferance ,mb911 is the go to guy here IMO.
Good luck Tom hope you can sort it....no one ever said a "6" conversion is easy dry.gif .
mb911
I am having a hard time figuring out what is going on there. For reference this is my current set up. It is my favorite as it clears everything and is easy to change oil as well. Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 24 2023, 03:06 PM) *

I am having a hard time figuring out what is going on there. For reference this is my current set up. It is my favorite as it clears everything and is easy to change oil as well. Click to view attachment

agree.gif Ben seems odd to me also ,maybe Tom has a pic of the cooler to see the position better from underneath.
mlindner
I just added a aluminum shield between header and oil return line. Jewelry, compliments of Ben's Headers and Sport Muffler. MarkClick to view attachment
mlindner
Oops, wrong picture. My oil tank to cooler line is not near the header (I do have the 914-6 oil cooler with the 90 deg. out). MarkClick to view attachment
Tdskip
Good morning! Sorry for the slow reply, was traveling for work.

I am using the Patrick Motorsports oil cooler adapter for reference, good eyes @sixnotfour

Seems like the line does need to be rerouted, and totally agree that it can’t stay like this.

The line does go to the bottom of the oil tank.

The current fitting has a 45 degree bend.

Would a different fitting at the cooler be the easier way to address?

Will get pictures from under the car this weekend.

Thanks, you all are great!
Robarabian
Click to view attachment

Here is one I have... Simply welded on a right angle in the direction you need it.
Robarabian
Click to view attachment

Here is my current setup. I had an -AN 12 threaded end welded onto my 914-6 cooler.
ClayPerrine
On a set of factory 914-6 heat exchangers, there is a tab with a nut welded to it on the left exchanger. It is there to add a support for the oil line. A clamp was put around the hose, and bolted down to the tab.

You can see it in this picture.

IPB Image

I have never seen this on a set of headers or any aftermarket heat exchangers.

burton73
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 26 2023, 09:15 AM) *

On a set of factory 914-6 heat exchangers, there is a tab with a nut welded to it on the left exchanger. It is there to add a support for the oil line. A clamp was put around the hose, and bolted down to the tab.

You can see it in this picture.

IPB Image

I have never seen this on a set of headers or any aftermarket heat exchangers.

Click to view attachment

What the bottom of #41 looks like

Bob B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.