so a guy from the uk posts on here a few weeks back asking about a "eggplant" 914 (aubergine to you comrades in arms there in the good old U S of A biggrin.gif ) that was for sale in the UK and was it a crayfords etc?

i knew i knew the car. dim memory recess.
i had a feeling it was sold by lorbek car yard here in my city.
way back when i first touched down on the runway with the wheels already spinning from chicago into the uv glare of a blinding australian summer i ended up designing every architects dream????? a fuken used car yard. prestige cars mind you.
you take any opportunity when you are young and ambitious.

i had the photos somewhere. found em.

for you blokes who love a bit of highway strip architecture and used car yards.
my hack at it all those years ago. long after the peak of the whole thing in the 1960s/
i was doing a kind of kurt cobain melancholic take on the end of the highway.
(or naive and still had a smile from ear to ear).
(how do you sell a design to car dealer, just make the building his name and nothing else? and.......the response is yeh, lets build it tomorrow. still remember that).

for your amusement or disgust as a side diversion from the daily misery of keeping a 914 going.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

my brand new 97 silver golf is parked in the street in the night shot.
pretty sure somewhere i have a shot of the 914 in front of this cobbled together chain link and road paint bit of strip shopping centre "artwork",. biggrin.gif
made of nothing. cost even less. but it got him a 10 year lease on the site when VW moved back into australia big time in the late 90s. its still there. VW are still on the site.
most of it has been eradicated by ze deutsche korporate ztyle make-over.
but the kooky entrance canopy is still sort of there biggrin.gif biggrin.gif