Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I use these ball joints?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jhynesrockmtn
I have been ordering a bunch of parts for my Bumblebee which is going through some "freshening". This includes going through the front suspension. I ordered a bunch of parts and was shorted one ball joint in a March order. I just received the second one. They are two different suppliers. One is a URO, the other Lemforder. I wouldn't have thought much of it but they are noticeably different. The URO is on the left in this photo. It is about 3 mm longer from the "base" of the part to the bottom. Should I just not worry about these and install them or ask for the vendor to get me a matched set? Any big differences between the URO and the Lemforder in performance or durability?

Click to view attachment
mepstein
If you ordered 2- uro, I wouldn’t care. If you ordered 2 lemforder, I would not accept a uro as a substitute.

The length of the threaded base doesn’t matter.
Geezer914
Lemforder!
peteinjp
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 26 2023, 04:46 AM) *

If you ordered 2- uro, I wouldn’t care. If you ordered 2 lemforder, I would not accept a uro as a substitute.

The length of the threaded base doesn’t matter.

Unless you have dropped spindles and 15” wheels. In that case the ball joint star lock and the flanges fort the lock pin can rub the wheel or hit wheel weights.
914Sixer
URO probably China
Lemfoerder probably Germany.
sportlicherFahrer
In my experience yes, the Lemforder will outlast the URO parts. Lemforder is an OE supplier and usually a good margin more expensive and higher quality. I would not substitute a Lemforder for a URO in this case and contact the vendor you bought through to get a matching part to what you ordered.
Mikey914
You should get what you paid for. The URO ones are sold for less. I wouldn't mix them.
jhynesrockmtn
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 26 2023, 08:13 AM) *

You should get what you paid for. The URO ones are sold for less. I wouldn't mix them.

Scott is handling it like a pro, he's been great to deal with. A Lemforder is on its way with another batch of parts I ordered. Thanks @Mikey914 .
Mikey914
No problem!
porschetub
QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Jun 26 2023, 08:28 AM) *

I have been ordering a bunch of parts for my Bumblebee which is going through some "freshening". This includes going through the front suspension. I ordered a bunch of parts and was shorted one ball joint in a March order. I just received the second one. They are two different suppliers. One is a URO, the other Lemforder. I wouldn't have thought much of it but they are noticeably different. The URO is on the left in this photo. It is about 3 mm longer from the "base" of the part to the bottom. Should I just not worry about these and install them or ask for the vendor to get me a matched set? Any big differences between the URO and the Lemforder in performance or durability?

Click to view attachment

I would straight away be suspect of the QC when the boot fits badly and the retaining spring is fitted that poorly like the one on the left dry.gif .
Mikey914
There clearly is a difference you can even see. Look at the threads, the German one had clean crisp edges, the other is rolled, There are way too many things to point out but I am taking notes so we can make these correctly.
jhynesrockmtn
I just want to follow this up with a note that the folks at 914rubber did a nice job of following up on this and sent me another Lemforder ball joint. All is installed now. Well not all. I still have a crap ton of parts to put on this car but the ball joints are in beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.