Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: easy question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doobie123
hi, i know some would think this obvious but.... what size is the crank bolt head on a 914,2.0?
it is difficult enough trying to get the wrench in there. knowing the bolt head size would take the guess work out.
thanks
rfinegan
13 mm but a 1/2 will do in a pinch...
Confirmed on crank bolt/hub
Mark Henry
What are you trying to do?
This is totally the wrong way if you're trying to spin the engine to find TDC, etc.
Rob-O
Holy crap! Not sure about the boot but first time I’ve seen Mark Henry post in long time!
doobie123
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 26 2023, 01:56 PM) *

This is totally the wrong way if you're trying to spin the engine to find TDC, etc.

i am trying to turn the engine to set the valves. what is the correct way?
rfinegan
Best to block one wheel and turn the other by hand in 5th gear...ez todo by your self or with a helper...
Olympic 914
QUOTE(doobie123 @ Jun 26 2023, 05:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 26 2023, 01:56 PM) *

i am trying to turn the engine to set the valves. what is the correct way?

Put it in gear with one rear wheel blocked, use the other wheel to rotate the engine.
brant
Or buy a 10$ remote starter switch

You won’t have to get up and down with a remote starter switch and the captain krusty technique
doobie123
QUOTE(rfinegan @ Jun 26 2023, 04:26 PM) *

Best to block one wheel and turn the other by hand in 5th gear...ez todo by your self or with a helper...

ok, i have also been told that pulling the plugs and hand turning the cage is a good way. is there a "best" way or just a personal preference?
also, any tips on setting the valves would be appreciated. i have never done this on this engine. seems the hardest part is access.
thanks
rfinegan
QUOTE(doobie123 @ Jun 26 2023, 05:56 PM) *

QUOTE(rfinegan @ Jun 26 2023, 04:26 PM) *

ok, i have also been told that pulling the plugs and hand turning the cage is a good way. is there a "best" way or just a personal preference?
also, any tips on setting the valves would be appreciated. i have never done this on this engine. seems the hardest part is access.
thanks

The bolt is not too big (8mm?) Will not take lot of torque to loosen to break.
Turning the cage is fine if you are in the engine compartment. But the valves are under the car. Getting up and down is the hardest part of the job. Look for the Method on the rocking valve method by Crusty..works well

I turn the engine over by hand till I see a rocker at its fullest open, then adjust the other side. They share a lobe!
A combination of this method and Crusty's will tell you which ones to do so it goes faster...
brant
And a remote starter switch from checkerautozone/anywhere….makes the Crusty rocking technique the easiest of all of the ways. In my opinion after 38 years of 914 ownership and adjusting my own valves
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.