Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tips and Tricks for systematic tear down
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Richard Casto
I bought a 1972 1.7 last week (with help of forum member Jason Panciera – Thanks Jason!). I am going to totally tear it down, fix body items, paint, etc. and then build back up. Nearly everything is going to come out of the car and it is going up on a rotisserie.

I am looking for tips and tricks on how to do a total tear down. Mostly from the point of documentation and storage of everything that comes off. My assumptions going into this are…

1. Take plenty of photos of everything before dissemble.

2. Bag items into Ziploc bags (use various sizes).

3. Label bags.

4. Box like items up together.

5. Hope I don’t loose anything

I already have an 8MP Canon Digital Rebel XT that I will use for all of the photos. I am not sure how I want to label the bags. I don’t know if I should try to label the exterior, put in a content list inside or each bag, do both or something else?

Anyone have a method that worked well for them?

Thanks!
rhodyguy
fine tip water/grease proof markers to write on the ziplocs.

k
1bad914
I break the car down into three sections, front, middle and back. I start at the back and bag and tag everything, if something is broken or a mess I right it down on my parts to buy list and mark that the part ias bad on the bag. I even mark how many nut, washers... on the bag. I put the bags in three seperate boxes and put them away. During the restoration I then reassemble the car in the reverse order, cleaning and replacing parts as I assemble I have used this process on multiple cars and it has worked well.

Good luck!
Sammy
Go to harbor freight tools and buy one of those plastic things that has a zillion zip ties with lots O'pretty colors, costs under $10 or so. Prolly half that, I gots CRS.

Every time you disconnect a wire or a hose, put a zip tie on the piece you disconnect and the piece it connects to. Use the same color, duh!
When you have used up all the colors, start using combinations of colors like a red/blue to a red/blue etc.
Zip ties won't fall off, they won't fade, they won't smudge.

When you go back together, cut the zip ties off as you connect the hoses and wires.
If you still have zip ties left on the car when you are all done, either you forgot to connect something or you are a nascar fan wink.gif
914werke
Buy anohter car to use as an example when you can figure out how it all go's back lol2.gif happy11.gif idea.gif w00t.gif chairfall.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.