Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a Mechanic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
coachjoeadams
If anyone could tell me a reliable mechanic in the Raleigh Durham area of NC that I can trust my 1973 914 2.0 to please give me the contact info. My health and age just won't allow mw to do more than routine maintenance. She is like brand new with a few niggling problems. See Pics attached. Thanks in advance!Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
930cabman
welcome.png

Great looking example. I cannot help with a wrench in your area, but someome will chime in. Many of us "Aged" folks have a difficult time with getting in and out.
Al Meredith
Ditto on getting in and out. I have been doing my own work since I had a Bettle in College and no money. Graduated College in 1965 but still have the no money issue. I just had a back operation am not allowed to lift anything and have had to quit most of my own maintenance. I have three 914 engines on the shelf to rebuild and I promised I would Quit after that. Plan to attend the "OKTEENER FEST" In Tenn Sept 21 - 24 In addition to meeting some "old farts" you will connect with some maintenance guys.

Al one of the old farts
BillJ
If you are willing to drive a couple hours i can point you t
In the right direction. Pm me.
rfinegan
Im in Clayton and here to consult/work if needed. I have free time now and then and may be able to help out. Not a lot of room for storing a car, but room to work on maintenance and simple repairs that take a day or two...let me know...just got a quick jack too

-Robert

I my youth, I was a Master Certified Mechanic/Technician , Now a SW QA engineer and have been on the world for 10 years and a 914 owner for 20 years
coachjoeadams
QUOTE(rfinegan @ Jun 28 2023, 07:23 PM) *

Im in Clayton and here to consult/work if needed. I have free time now and then and may be able to help out. Not a lot of room for storing a car, but room to work on maintenance and simple repairs that take a day or two...let me know...just got a quick jack too
Robert

Robert, I had someone rebuild the rear calipers, but now I have no parking brakes, and have to pump the brakes to stop. I am probably just using the front disks. The only other problem she has is that it will not idle when hot. If you can help with this, or point me in a direction it would be greatly appreciated.
I can PM you my contact info if needed. Thanks,
rfinegan
Yes, I can help with this... Let get the wheels off and take a look. It may be EZ and fix on the spot. OR we can make a parts list and get what needed parts ordered up. The hot idle we can take a look at too. May be an adjustment or make a list of what is needed too...
Still the original Fuel injection 2.0? We can check the basics and go from there PM me and we can set up a time , call or meeting.
Shivers
I keep working on her because it won’t get done otherwise. But I have to choose my battles. I need to keep it small and take days off between each project. I hope to be able to finish to enjoy her again. Way to go Robert!
r_towle
I love seeing this!
r_towle
I’m seeing far too many aircooled shops shut down, and all the mechanics retire. I can bring the 997 to many of the modern European shops and a young guy knows what todo.

Part of time passing. But it’s rare I would trust most shops to touch one of my aircooled for basic maintenance items. They order and replace parts only.

Getting old car brakes working properly takes knowledge and patience.
930cabman
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 29 2023, 07:09 AM) *

I’m seeing far too many aircooled shops shut down, and all the mechanics retire. I can bring the 997 to many of the modern European shops and a young guy knows what todo.

Part of time passing. But it’s rare I would trust most shops to touch one of my aircooled for basic maintenance items. They order and replace parts only.

Getting old car brakes working properly takes knowledge and patience.

Old school "mechanics" are dying off everyday. Sad, but a reality of our worldly progress.
r_towle
Sadly for me it’s the year of brakes, brake lines, frozen calipers.
4th car this year, just bled them.
One more car I can barely push around and magically has no brake fluid.

I’m getting sick of brake fluid this year.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we need four 914 mechanics at least and could really use six of them
rfinegan
I retire my day job in 5 years...Ill keep you in mind

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 29 2023, 11:57 AM) *

r_towle
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 29 2023, 11:57 AM) *

Hook up with a local technical high school and teach them .
boxster914
Chuck Miller in Hillsborough NC, MillerSport is his shop.

He is a 914 expert.

http://www.millersportauto.com
Txbentleyboy
I've been referred to Mike Byer up in High Point. Going to see him after the 4th is over.

Where are you in NC?
topatrout914
I've heard Mike Byers does good work. Never used him before as I do all my own work. I know folks in the Bimmer world that swear by him.
Tonyooc
I'm in Fort Mill SC. I've got plenty of room to work on it. Let me know.
Dlee6205
This seems like a good opportunity for a 914 workday... I'd be willing to travel from WNC for something.

BillJ
Sounds like fun!
coachjoeadams
Thanks to everyone who replied to my post, but I just spent the day with Mr. 914 Robert Finnegan. Got more done and learned more about my 73 2 liter that I have all winter and spring. Super nice guy, really knows his stuff and we spent the morning swapping stories, working on my car, and driving a couple of nice curvy roads!
Thanks again Robert look forward to doing it again soon!Click to view attachment
rfinegan
Its all about the Camaraderie and the Jocularity
Else why do we do this?

Car now stops on a dime...and gives you 5 cents change!
Dlee6205
smilie_pokal.gif
r_towle
Faster with Finegan

Great job!
jhynesrockmtn
Whoo hoo, cool thread! This is just terrific. I'm no mechanic but am learning as I go and fortunate to have a retired VW/Porsche mechanic who will make house calls to supervise and teach. I'm hoping to pass this stuff along to my son/grandson's at some point. He already has my old 911 SC.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rfinegan @ Jul 1 2023, 05:30 PM) *

Its all about the Camaraderie and the Jocularity
Else why do we do this?

Car now stops on a dime...and gives you 5 cents change!
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 2 2023, 10:42 PM) *

Faster with Finegan

Great job!

piratenanner.gif welcome.png

that is awesome! and now you have 5-6 contacts of people in the NC region to help anda couple mechanic referrals as well, thats awesome! i wish i were closer to you guys, there are just a few teeners down here in lower coastal SC. Glad to see Robert was able to help, no doubt hes fully capable and knowledgeable!
hope to see you all at Okteenerfest in Sept!!.

Phil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.