Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oversize valve guides
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cwpeden
Hey everyone, I haven't been here in ages but its finally time to put some vroom back into the teener.

Dropped a valve seat a 5 years ago and decided to focus on other things after finally getting that 1st place trophy at Parade Autocross.
FYI, autocross is WAY easier than running ultramarathons...don't know what I was thinking. wacko.gif

Only problem is the exhaust valve guides are already oversize on the 2.0 heads at around .6 inch (15.24mm) and knurled at that.

What do we do when we get to this point?
brant
Guides are a wear item and replaced by a machine shop in a rebuild. At least a skilled rebuild

If you’ve dropped one seat
Then the other 7 are now also suspect and should be examined or replaced also
The guy that does my heads would not trust them at this point
r_towle
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Jun 29 2023, 05:29 PM) *

Hey everyone, I haven't been here in ages but its finally time to put some vroom back into the teener.

Dropped a valve seat a 5 years ago and decided to focus on other things after finally getting that 1st place trophy at Parade Autocross.
FYI, autocross is WAY easier than running ultramarathons...don't know what I was thinking. wacko.gif

Only problem is the exhaust valve guides are already oversize on the 2.0 heads at around .6 inch (15.24mm) and knurled at that.

Might want to price out buying brand new heads also.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 29 2023, 06:42 PM) *

QUOTE(cwpeden @ Jun 29 2023, 05:29 PM) *

Might want to price out buying brand new heads also.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
Its time.

Zach
cwpeden
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 29 2023, 03:37 PM) *

Guides are a wear item and replaced by a machine shop in a rebuild. At least a skilled rebuild

If you’ve dropped one seat
Then the other 7 are now also suspect and should be examined or replaced also
The guy that does my heads would not trust them at this point

That was going to be the plan but all the guides are at max OD. Unless there is some valve guide fairy that makes even bigger ones?

No point doing seats now.

I looked at new heads. I've been out of the loop so long. Who is the best?
Dave_Darling
LN heads.

https://lnengineering.com/type-4-store/cylinder-heads.html

Made from new AMC castings.

--DD
930cabman
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 30 2023, 12:11 PM) *

LN heads.

https://lnengineering.com/type-4-store/cylinder-heads.html

Made from new AMC castings.

--DD

agree.gif agree.gif

For around $1.k you have new heads and will have 0 worries for a long time. When stuff gets old, it wears out. When was the last time you looked in the mirror? I know for me it's scary
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.