Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 915 Transmission Identification
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gearup
Good morning Gents,

I bought a 914 with a 915 tranny, tranny Mount and Cable shift. Things I know about the transmission. It has obviously been flipped, has 9,900 miles on it since Renegade Hybrids sent it out to be rebuilt and was paired with a stock 327. I’m going to be selling it as I am putting an LS3 with a Boxster S to handle the increase in power. Tranny shifts into gears with no problems. ( I was a passenger in the car pre-buy and a very knowledgeable friend drove the car before removal said that although it shifted smoothly he had to “hunt” to get in gear. No grinding or anything but the idents were off. Called Tom at Carquest and he said he didn’t think it was a big deal to fix the issue. I’ don’t want to sell it as a core as there is low mileage on a professional rebuild on it but that will be needed to be addressed. Looked at the tranny oil and it was fresh prestine swepco blue. Not sure if I should target the 914 crowd because it is flipped and comes with the adapters and Mount but am wondering if the 911 guys might have more interest. I am including pictures of the stamping I saw on the tranny
And am hoping someone here might be able to translate what year etc. it is. I looked online and haven’t figured it out. Any input would be appreciated.

burton73
pictures please

Bob B
burton73
https://patrickmotorsports.com/products/tra914915916metspms

Someone will deal with it like it is with adjustments or go to this set up and must get that worked out. Steve has one of these in his blue car if I remember it right.

Come up with a number and let us know how much you want for it?

Bob B

mepstein
To my slightly educated eye, it’s a mid year/later mag case with electronic speedo.
I could be wrong.
914werke
must post price ~
Gearup
QUOTE(914werke @ Jul 1 2023, 10:09 AM) *

must post price ~

I will when I post it for sale and I figure out what I actually have.
sixnotfour
Throw out bearing Guide tube 2 bolts or cast in.. No bolts Early
bearing races can get slooping ,, Mag case,,, great ring Pinion ratio thou..
Steve
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 1 2023, 10:50 AM) *

To my slightly educated eye, it’s a mid year/later mag case with electronic speedo.
I could be wrong.

agree.gif
It does look like the sought after first year of the stronger 8:31 ring and pinion with the earlier lighter magnesium case 915/61?
https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...umentation.html
I went with the last year 1986 915 aluminum gear box. It has 108mm flanges. You can now find aftermarket 108mm flanges, so no big deal.
I am running the Martin Bott 916 kit. PMS built it. I heard the cable shifter is hard to adjust and get right, but some people are happy with it. It does limit what mufflers you can use.
sixnotfour
72/73 mag case 915/2
7/31 RP
arbitrary
It should be possible to look up the year of the donor car using the table in the back of the 911 PET if you list the transmission’s serial number.
sixnotfour
OMG pic of throw out bearing sleave .. ends the mystery.. it is a Mag case 915..7/31 RP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.