Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stuck Throttle cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Olympic 914
Friend has a throttle cable stuck in the tube. can stick a heavy wire up the tube from rear about 2 1/2 - 3 feet before hitting blockage.

No plastic sleeve visible, doesn't look like it had a plastic sleeve on this cable.

He had tied a small string on the cable before trying to pull it out, and when the cable got stuck yanking on the string did not free it up. then the string broke...

right now there is about 2" of string visible leading into the tube, but too far in to grab.

We are reluctant to try yanking HARD on the cable from the rear, for fear it will break off inside the tube.

Any suggestions?
r_towle
Buy a new cable
I have used a coat hanger attached to a drill to ream out the tube.
If the tube is clean, you can easily slide a new cable through.

Rich
Olympic 914
He bought a new cable, that is what he was trying to install. the old cable is stuck in the tube.

r_towle
Ream it out
Shivers
Compressed air and blow it out
Craigers17
Here are a few suggestions:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...amp;pid=2178887

Olympic 914
Those pictures are a help.
jhynesrockmtn
I just changed mine and it was getting stuck right at the end fortunately. I was doing this a preventative maintenance as the clutch cable looked like crap. Of course the throttle cable looks new once it was removed. I now have a nice spare. I think the pedal end on these replacements might be a bit fatter than the original. I thought about grinding/filing off a bit of metal but a little lube helped and it pushed through.
Bartlett 914
Electricians fishtape. The end must be cut off. Flexible but very tough. You cab use vise grips on the tape and tap it with a hammer bit by bit until the clog clears
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.