Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should this car be saved?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tygaboy
10 year ago, this was a no-brainer decision. But with 914 values climbing, I think it's a valid question and thought it'd be an interesting topic to cover:
In 2023, how much repair work is a 914 worthy of receiving?

This is the "rusty tub, no paperwork, for free" car that @wes Wes was advertising a few weeks back. With no ability to resist, it's now residing at the Red Barn.
I was thinking I might fix it but as I started looking more closely, I decided it's too far gone - for me. And let's be honest, I already have too many plates spinning...

So, what to do? I figured I check with 914 World as see what folks thought. I've heard stories from you East Coasters that what we out here in CA think is "too rusty" may be a great starting point for a restoration.

It either goes as is or it lives on as a donor vehicle. Some details to help inform your opinion. Most importantly, I had it inspected by the CA Highway Patrol and as of this moring, have a clear CA title in my name. So no worries on the legal/paperwork front.

The bad news is in the pics.
- fiberglass flares that are cracked
- lots of typical rust: hell hole, inner/outer fire wall, floors, rear trunk panel
- some atypical rust: top of transmission cross member - and probably some of the lower, but I haven't looked that hard
- some genius decided cutting the doors for speaker wasn't enough and cut out sections of the A-pillar, just ahead of the door
- Epic "moonroof in the targa top" is either horrible or super cool. I go back and forth, depending on the day!

This could be a great parent/child project.
IMO, if ever there was a chassis screaming to become a low-budget Safari build, this is it!

So World, I know the car CAN be saved. But it won't be me that does the saving. I'm just wondering if anyone WANTS to save it. Let me know what you think. If you're interested in it, PM me.

PLEASE DON'T post asking for a panel or part. If it becomes a parts car, I'll post in the classifieds.

And.... GO!
tygaboy
the bad
tygaboy
badness, con't
Chris914n6
Is it accident free?

Having a straight tub to start with matters. The rest can be patched cheap if so desired and be driven without the huge investment of a resto.
Van B
Parts.

It’s time to own up to the fact that the ole 914 is entering the money phase of its life. As such, buyers are going to be more and more discerning as to the history and quality of a car. Cheap patches aren’t going to be worth it going forward IMO.
SirAndy
Can-O-Worms = Parts

even on the rust coast of the country ...
sad.gif
r_towle
I, in the northeast, am a CSOB
I would part that out.

Rich
bbrock
Well, I'll give my frequent answer that it looks in no worse (actually better) shape than my car did at it's low point. The question always comes down to whether someone wants a project and if they have the skills and determination. If that someone were you, it would be a no brainer. You just need a hood and pair of tail lights to make a fabulous car from. It just depends on if that person or persons are out there to pass it on to. But c'mon... how can you not dig that sunroof! piratenanner.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 3 2023, 02:51 PM) *

Well, I'll give my frequent answer that it looks in no worse (actually better) shape than my car did at it's low point. The question always comes down to whether someone wants a project and if they have the skills and determination. If that someone were you, it would be a no brainer. You just need a hood and pair of tail lights to make a fabulous car from. It just depends on if that person or persons are out there to pass it on to. But c'mon... how can you not dig that sunroof! piratenanner.gif

@bbrock Brent - you're too kind. And on the moonroof: I know, right?!?!
If I do part it out, I'll give you first dibs on the top. laugh.gif
dhuckabay
From all of the rust holes in the pans I think you would have a hard time trying to find good metal to weld replacement to. I have seen some really poor patch jobs and as was pointed out earlier these are a very real negative.
emerygt350
Ignore the rust. Frame it well, turn it into whatever kind of race car you want.

At least the dimensions are still close to original.
emerygt350
And the price thing is interesting. I do many things that might be called 'deferred maintenance' on my California car. Same with my mustang. I can fix the crazy weird fuel injection and the mechanicals but an Fing paint job? That is for the investor to do. It will make them feel good and get them attached to the car. I will sand blast and touch up, they can pay for the paint job. Weld in a patch, Rust-Oleum. Call it a day.i want to drive it.
930cabman
I wouldn't, but there are some crazies out there
76-914
Is that pegboard on the engine lid? wacko.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 3 2023, 04:59 PM) *

Is that pegboard on the engine lid? wacko.gif

@76-914 Good eye, Kent! Not pegboard but perfectly drilled holes! It was hard to believe when I first saw it. At first glance, I thought it was a bunch of stickers. No idea what they were thinking but there you go. A likely candiate for a GT grill, to say the least.
JoeDees
If car + RD body panels < $1500, it could be a good outlaw project.
Front yard mechanic
It’s a brusty castard
Superhawk996
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 3 2023, 08:21 PM) *

No idea what they were thinking . . .

Somehow, 914s just seem to lend themselves to this utterance. laugh.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jul 3 2023, 08:20 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 3 2023, 08:21 PM) *

No idea what they were thinking . . .

Somehow, 914s just seem to lend themselves to this utterance. laugh.gif

We are all part of it aktion035.gif
914sgofast2
That car has organ donor written all over it.
East coaster
On the east coast, that’s a clean rust free example…..
Cairo94507
Hey @tygaboy Chris, can you set that top aside for me? I always dreamed of one of those. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 4 2023, 06:56 AM) *

Hey @tygaboy Chris, can you set that top aside for me? I always dreamed of one of those. beerchug.gif

@Cairo94507 Michael - Sure. If the car doesn't get parted, I have any number of tops I can include with the car. Oh, I know! I'll trade you this top for your bumper! laugh.gif
Cairo94507
I know you know I was joking. Regardless, we can work out the bumper in trade for some fabrication work for a future project. beerchug.gif
Superhawk996
Can anyone elaborate on why anyone would put a sunroof in the targa? wacko.gif

I’ve seen this before but I can’t comprehend the thought process behind it. Curious minds want to know.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(East coaster @ Jul 4 2023, 09:07 AM) *

On the east coast, that’s a clean rust free example…..

laugh.gif So true
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jul 4 2023, 08:13 AM) *

I’ve seen this before but I can’t comprehend the thought process behind it. Curious minds want to know.

A sunroof allows you to sunburn your bald head without getting bid poop on it. Brilliant confused24.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Jul 4 2023, 10:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jul 4 2023, 08:13 AM) *

A sunroof allows you to sunburn your bald head without getting bid poop on it. Brilliant confused24.gif

Or the best of both worlds, sunshine and a removeable roof screwy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.