Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 GT build question.?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
beltwerks
HI all,

I am think of buying a 914 and would like to use this to build a GT. Can someone give me an idea of a ball park cost to purchase the specific parts needed for this 6 conversion.? Not including engine or bodywork. I understand the items needed amongst others are exhaust, crossmember, specific tinware, oil pipes, cooler mods etc etc. Any idea of costs would be much appreciated.
Dave
Justinp71
Hello!

Welcome here, I love the 914GT. Luckily Ben makes a lot of the six conversion parts you can see them here- 914-6werkshop.com. Someone else may have a more complete list.

Are you trying to make an exact GT replica? Some parts may be very hard to find like the original seats, correct steering column, etc...

A GT look car with most of the GT flare is not too hard to find parts for, most expensive part obviously is the engine. Occasionally some real nice six motors get posted here in the classifieds.

Don't forget about chassis stiffening, what you choose here is up to you. There are a couple options.

There are also other member vendors that make other parts like the GT engine lids, etc. MSDSInc.com can custom build headers, they are nice (I have them).
mlindner
Dave, my 914-6 GT Tribute cost me $35,000 over the last ten years. I did all the work myself other than the final painting. And I already had the car. My guess it would be closer to $50,000 today. Best, Mark
dr914@autoatlanta.com
buy one done, there are many available, way too much to build one these days

QUOTE(beltwerks @ Jul 5 2023, 08:56 AM) *

HI all,

I am think of buying a 914 and would like to use this to build a GT. Can someone give me an idea of a ball park cost to purchase the specific parts needed for this 6 conversion.? Not including engine or bodywork. I understand the items needed amongst others are exhaust, crossmember, specific tinware, oil pipes, cooler mods etc etc. Any idea of costs would be much appreciated.
Dave

BillJ
George definitely has a great point. Depending on what you want to use the car for makes a huge difference as well. The numbers quoted are probably the normal range you will see for just the engine on freshly built or low miles example.

The costs you asked for can also vary widely depended on how authentic you want to go. A real deal seat set for example is going to cost you 5 figures alone. Oil lines and cooler setup without install budget $3k unless you want a real GT cooler then it doubles at least that figure. 6 specific tins are gonna run you over $650 and thats without going to clear fiberglass replicas like the factory. Those are like $1500 and up.

Buy a done example. Will save you a whole lot of money.
Bullethead
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 5 2023, 01:37 PM) *

buy one done, there are many available, way too much to build one these days

agree.gif Take your time and buy the best you can afford. Building an accurate replica with correct genuine parts gets into six figures faster than you can imagine.

Perfect example of doing it right was this screaming deal smilie_pokal.gif @eric9144 scored!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=343794

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=343405
mepstein
Decide how much GT you want. A flared car or the full Monty. The advantage of building is you get what you want and the journey can be fun. Buying one done gets it at the price agreeable to you without the multi year wait.

welcome.png
mb911
Message me or call we can go through the list. Www.914-6werkshop.com you can call two six two 364 seven four two 6
brant
WAG…

10k parts

No motor
No trans work
Not including body and paint…

Depends on what you want and do
Examples:brakes. Suspension.. oil cooler, wheels?

Just guessing
r_towle
QUOTE(mlindner @ Jul 5 2023, 01:19 PM) *

Dave, my 914-6 GT Tribute cost me $35,000 over the last ten years. I did all the work myself other than the final painting. And I already had the car. My guess it would be closer to $50,000 today. Best, Mark

You need to burn that folder of receipts.
No evidence …..nothing to see here dear….
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.