Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mittlemotor GT headlight kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914dave
I have the Mittlemotor GT headlight kit installed in my car. The issue is the strut pushes the light up slowly and bounces as you drive. Anyone with the kit installed have the same issues? The struts were weak right out of the gate. I’m wondering if the struts sat on the shelf too long before installation or I need a stronger strut.
tygaboy
I have the kit. My lights bounce only on the larger bumps. And my lights pop up just fine. Maybe a pic of your install that shows where the fixed strut mount lives. If they’re in the right spot, it may be your struts.
ConeDodger
I have the kit. But it has been a long ass time since I found myself in need of lights. I will be doing the PCA “car wash contest” on Sunday and I have to leave at zero-dark-thirty so I will check then…
914dave
Here are pics. Loaded and unloaded.
Click to view attachment
914dave
Unloaded
Click to view attachment
914dave
Ok. I’m a knucklehead. Let me get the same pics when the headlights are up!
914dave
@tygaboy @conedodger
Strut extended
Click to view attachment
914dave
Headlight up strut extended 1/2” preload
Click to view attachment
Spocknasty
You could try ordering new and / or stiffer shocks here: https://www.mcmaster.com/products/shocks/ad...-gas-springs-7/

-Mike
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 8 2023, 12:41 AM) *

I have the kit. But it has been a long ass time since I found myself in need of lights. I will be doing the PCA “car wash contest” on Sunday and I have to leave at zero-dark-thirty so I will check then…

Turns out, the site for the concours is only 42 minutes away. The start time is 0800 and it’s light here at 0500, so my streak of not needing lights continues!

I do recall some quiver in the light pattern though…
914dave
@Spocknasty
Mike, thanks for the link. I’ve ordered hundreds of items from them and it didn’t cross my mind. Will have to do a little fiddling because the originals are metric. I’ll have to adapt the ends.
BTW. How’ve you been?
914dave
Update
Found a site https://www.gasspringsshop.com/. They cross referenced my strut and I purchased struts 50% stronger. We’ll see how this works out.
mepstein
QUOTE(914dave @ Jul 11 2023, 10:46 AM) *

Update
Found a site https://www.gasspringsshop.com/. They cross referenced my strut and I purchased struts 50% stronger. We’ll see how this works out.

beerchug.gif
Spocknasty
QUOTE(914dave @ Jul 11 2023, 08:46 AM) *

Update

Good news! You had originally deterred me from doing the kit due to the bouncing - here's hoping this solves it!

Hope to see you at the Doylestown at Dusk show this weekend.

-Mike
campbellcj
Interesting thread as I've got some bouncing as well and it seems noticeably worse on one side vs the other. I just installed the kit a few years ago but it was in storage for a while and I wonder if one strut is weak/defective. Similar to @conedodger I have only used headlights like 3X in the past decade or so...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jul 12 2023, 03:24 PM) *

Interesting thread as I've got some bouncing as well and it seems noticeably worse on one side vs the other. I just installed the kit a few years ago but it was in storage for a while and I wonder if one strut is weak/defective. Similar to @conedodger I have only used headlights like 3X in the past decade or so...

Right Chris, I’ll admit, I don’t go out of my way to create headlight need but…

The photog for the FCPEuro shoot did some shots with lights on IIRC.
914dave
Struts arrived today. 150 nm of force versus the 100 nm that came with the kit. Chris, my kit sat on the shelf for years and never was right from the start. They would bounce and slowly sag. When I removed one strut today it didn’t even expand once it came off the pins. The new strut required two hands of force to compress. It is firm now. Going to try and load the video I have. I use the driving lights in a pinch. Heading to Okteenerfest and want to get them sorted properly. Going to load a video if I can. If not I’ll post it on IG.
914dave
Posted the video on @toppindave on IG. These are the parts from gas springs.com

Click to view attachment
campbellcj
Thanks Dave! - your car looks fantastic BTW
914dave
QUOTE(Spocknasty @ Jul 11 2023, 03:28 PM) *

QUOTE(914dave @ Jul 11 2023, 08:46 AM) *

Update

Good news! You had originally deterred me from doing the kit due to the bouncing - here's hoping this solves it!

Hope to see you at the Doylestown at Dusk show this weekend.

-Mike

Skipping Doylestown this year. Family function. The new struts work great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.