Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacement grommet for speedo cable ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
I have a very usable speedo cable except the bulbous rubber grommet that fits to the fat tube at the firewall in the engine compartment.. it’s a bit tattered. I’m not seeing replacements for just this detail, checked 914rubber and a general search. Anyone have a solution, whether it’s a replacement or… ?

914Sixer
No replacements that I know of, only comes on new cable.
Mikey914
Comes with a new cable. One of the reasons we didn’t make them.
Literati914
Well I’m gonna have to come up with a (cheap) solution for the time being since my cable is just fine otherwise. The small end of this particular grommet is in tact, the large end is split in a few places, so it sits loose… I may wrap it with a strip of sheet rubber and a hose clamp.

This has to be a bit common, I’d think a more professional solution would be popular. Like the same piece produced with a linear split down the side that would slip over the tube/cable and get contact glued into place (made slightly over sized and glued over itself). Though I realize it’s probably cost prohibitive to produce. Oh well, I’ll get a new cable eventually.

BTW, I can’t quite understand why the tube is so big to begin with? Doesn’t seem necessary to me.

DennisV
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jul 9 2023, 07:37 PM) *

I have a very usable speedo cable except the bulbous rubber grommet that fits to the fat tube at the firewall in the engine compartment.. it’s a bit tattered. I’m not seeing replacements for just this detail, checked 914rubber and a general search. Anyone have a solution, whether it’s a replacement or… ?

I think I am in the same boat. Is this the speedometer one you were looking for? What did you end up doing?

Are the brake grommets meant to be accordion (914-424-592-00)

Click to view attachment

I assume that clutch and accelerator cables don't have boots / grommets at the firewall?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.