Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV Joint Boot Clamp
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DennisV
Original style 914-6 terminal (aka dust bellows boot clamp) 914-332-335-00 for CV joints appear to be NLA. I assume I can reuse my protection caps and add new dust bellows. That leaves the clamp. I'll try to reuse my existing clamps, but if that fails does anyone have experience with:
I'm honestly not sure how you secure the Porsche one.
914Sixer
All the CV boots now have the rubber boot crimped into them. They do not fit over the top and have the band.
technicalninja
He's talking about the boot clamp where is fits to the axle itself.

I too need this part.

No way I'd choose the Porsche strap over the McMasters pinch clamp.

You really need the correct pinch clamp pliers but a straight end cutting dyke will work if your careful.

The pinch clamp will not fail if it's installed properly.

These are the correct pliers

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-30800-Boot-Cla...85293&psc=1
Geezer914
I used a small plastic wire tie.
Krieger
I don't using anything on my 6. There has never been anything that seeped out. I will have to see what I did on my 4.
DennisV
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 11 2023, 06:39 AM) *

All the CV boots now have the rubber boot crimped into them. They do not fit over the top and have the band.

I have found a couple vendors selling the boot separate. I don't know about the fit. They don't appear to have the bottom lip molded into the rubber. Maybe it's not necessary.

QUOTE(technicalninja @ Jul 11 2023, 07:54 AM) *

He's talking about the boot clamp where is fits to the axle itself.

These are the correct pliers

I probably didn't articulate well. I was actually referring to the wider base of the boot that attaches to the "protection cap" as the catalog calls it.

There wasn't a clamp at the small end of the bellows on our car. I'm not seeing on listed in the parts catalog either.

Thanks for the plier link.
Click to view attachment
MasterCylinder
Look for oetiker clamps.

Last ones I purchased I got from Bel-Metric
mate914
This it the best advise you got so far. The oetiker (sp) clamp is used for pex plumbing also. Lowes and most auto parts stores has them to rent.

Matt flag.gif

QUOTE(MasterCylinder @ Jul 11 2023, 08:36 PM) *

Look for oetiker clamps.

Literati914
QUOTE(mate914 @ Jul 11 2023, 07:55 PM) *

This it the best advise you got so far. The oetiker (sp) clamp is used for pex plumbing also. Lowes and most auto parts stores has them to rent.

Matt flag.gif

Look for oetiker clamps.

So are these clamps and tool useful for other items besides cv boots… ie fuel hoses and/or coolant hoses (for water cooled cars), vacuum, etc? Or are they not for pressurized applications? Sorry if it’s obvious to some, I’ve never heard of this clamp but would buy the tool if its useful enough.

rhodyguy
SS screw clamps found in the plumbing department. I would screw up the plier, clamping stuff.
mate914
Pex used in hydronic heating is pressure tested at 80psi+.

Matt

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jul 11 2023, 11:39 PM) *

QUOTE(mate914 @ Jul 11 2023, 07:55 PM) *

Matt flag.gif

Look for oetiker clamps.

So are these clamps and tool useful for other items besides cv boots… ie fuel hoses and/or coolant hoses (for water cooled cars), vacuum, etc? Or are they not for pressurized applications? Sorry if it’s obvious to some, I’ve never heard of this clamp but would buy the tool if its useful enough.

DennisV
For anyone following along, some more datapoints:

The Rein rubber boot part is about 5mm smaller opening (48 mm) on the large end of the boots compared to what I took off our car, despite it being associated with 901-332-293-11 as found in the factory parts catalog. I don't see how you would get them to fit. You could argue the original stretched over time, but if you are able to get 901-332-293-10 from Stoddard, it is the correct size (53mm). Even then it was a struggle to get them on.

I was very careful removing the terminal (aka boot clamp). As such I was able to get them replated and reuse them thanks to some nice ear clamp pliers.
Van B

Look for oetiker clamps.

Wide selection from bel metric agree.gif
Root_Werks
I've had good luck with SS Zip Ties for use on things that aren't under much or any pressure:

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lig...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

You can even buy a little hand tool that will pull them tight.

Low profile, clean looking, never failed me yet. Used them on T1 Swing Axel Boots and other CV boots.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.