Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On a wing and a flare
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Shivers
My rear drivers side flare took some damage in shipping. I’ve got the shape back, but the passenger side flare hints at the body blending into the flare at the top. Most of the pics I see here are shiny and of the whole car. Could someone with pics of their car being done please help me with this detail. Or a pic of a finished car with a good view of this would be great too. Thank you.

Click to view attachment

Drivers side

Click to view attachment

Passenger side
tygaboy
My flares are on but not finished/bodyworked and I can get pics of what you may be looking for but I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

The flare butts to the body at the cut line, all along the edge where the two meet.
Does this help?
Shivers
Click to view attachment

Thank you. The blue is how the undamaged flare is on the passanger side coming into the factory sheetmetal at the top. like they spent some time trying to blend the two together and not just covering larger tires. The green is flat and red is the body coming in. @tygaboy
r_towle
I’m not sure what issue you are having, but these flares are “close enough” and require some hammer and dolly work to fit
Shivers
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 12 2023, 07:10 PM) *

I’m not sure what issue you are having, but these flares are “close enough” andee it require some hammer and dolly work to fit

Yes sir I agree. What I am lacking is a look at the shape I’m shooting for. It is hard for me to see the changes in direction in that small area. Both sides are far from perfect so If I had one to fondle that would be easiest, next best is hoping for the right image.
r_towle
After you grind the weld flat, hammer and dolly that area…it’s a quick transition.

Get it smooth, Dollied out, add bondo , paint it.

You may find many positions and differences amongst cars that have added flares
Shivers
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 12 2023, 08:50 PM) *

After you grind the weld flat, hammer and dolly that area…it’s a quick transition.

Get it smooth, Dollied out, add bondo , paint it.

You may find many positions and differences amongst cars that have added flares

Thanks man, I can do that.
Literati914
If you need filler, which you will to some degree to help seal the weld seems and create a better contour transition - I recommend using a short strand fiberglass filler because it remains flexible (though when hard you’d not think so) and it’s better with not holding moisture. Home Depot carries quart cans of Bondo brand.. called ‘Bondo Glass’. Good luck.

Shivers
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jul 13 2023, 08:12 AM) *

If you need filler, which you will to some degree to help seal the weld seems and create a better contour transition - I recommend using a short strand fiberglass filler because it remains flexible (though when hard you’d not think so) and it’s better with not holding moisture. Home Depot carries quart cans of Bondo brand.. called ‘Bondo Glass’. Good luck.

Thanks, I’ve used 3m’s Mar glass before. I’ll check out the bonds as HD isn’t that far away.
Garland
You tube video

Runge Cars metal shaping #7 making welds disappear on hand made fender

@Shivers
Shivers
QUOTE(Garland @ Jul 13 2023, 06:38 PM) *

You tube video

Runge Cars metal shaping #7 making welds disappear on hand made fender

@Shivers

Thank you
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.