Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mystery motor, again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914werke
So I semi regularly get mtr's from abandoned projects
In some cases, seemingly fresh builds. Often with no info.
Has anyone had success ID'ing the cam mfg and typ via pulling the pump?
Superhawk996
Interested in the response to see what others have found.

I have a mystery cam. There was nothing on the face of the cam to Identify it. Nothing on it even when it was removed from the engine but definitely had an aftermarket cam gear so not OEM.

On the other hand, I know some of the older Web Cam's and Engle's did have ID of some sort- probably luck of the draw.
Shivers
Some cam grinders did put the info on the end of the cam. I put a few in my V8’s and two did.
914werke
The first check is that is or is not an unmolested stock cam with riveted gear.
After that Web(cam), for instance, had in the past stamped its grind in the exposed flange so it was ...sometimes possible to figure it out
r_towle
I’ve had a few with no markings.
Setup a jig and measure, that is what I do.

If you don’t want to crack the case, setup a jig on the head.
Measure, then math.
914werke
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 12 2023, 03:20 PM) *
I’ve had a few with no markings. Setup a jig and measure, that is what I do.
If you don’t want to crack the case, setup a jig on the head. Measure, then math.
Right, but not everyone has the degree wheel, stand, dial indicators ect necessary.
The hope is by simply pulling the pump (typical when resealing) you can easily determine a mystery motors cam. smile.gif
r_towle
Harbor freight for the dial indicator ( I don’t need a massive reason to go to HF)
Cardboard, patience and some sharp pencil for a degree wheel (you don’t need 360 degrees marked.
targa72e
I have printed degree wheel off the internet. I first sized it for what I was doing on computer and the then attached it to something a little more solid. Worked fine.

john
Al Meredith
Yes, if the original rivets are on the cam gear then chances are it is a stock cam BUT I have one on the shelf with a stock gear and rivets but it has been reground and has numbers on the end of the cam . If you take it out you will notice a smaller base circle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.