Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: side shifter conversion..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brant
hi fellas,

So I'm building a car out of spare parts. The motor came from a tail shifter 72, and I thought I had enough to slap it together with a side shifter.

I knew the engine bar was different...
but it looks like the actual bracket attatched to the motor (which the bar and motor mounts connect to) is different also?

I never knew this.
am I crazy or it this true....

I guess I also need to try and find this motor mount bracket... Does anybody have a spare they would sell?

thanks again.
brad was right.. its all the little crap that wears ya down.
brant
Brad Roberts
You need 2 brackets (they are independant of each other) and you need the hardware along with the 2 rubber engine mounts that bolt to them. You also need the two solid steel brackets that mount to the body on either end of the crossbar.

B
brant
thanks brad,

crap.. so I'm not crazy it is different.
I've got all of it except for the two small black brackets that mount onto the motor (which the ruber mounts bolt to)

I should of held on to those when I sold the race motor!

TIA
brant
iansale
Brant, just so you know exactly what you are looking for:
Motor mount bar comparison
Motor mount comparison
seanery
Brant/Brad,

There are a number of the necessary parts for this in my rear trunk. If you want any let me know, I'll make you a deal.

-sean
brant
Sean,

sold...

specifically I need the two metal brackets as outlined in the wonderful picture by iansale...(thanks).

If those are rolling around in your trunk.. you've got a deal.

thanks fellas.
brant
seanery
I've got the brackets for the motor mount. They are either new or like new, but do not have the rubber bushes.

They should be in the rear trunk with some other junk. Brad will need to check as he has my car. Anything else in there you need is available, too. With James' Rennshift, I didn't need to convert my car to a sideshifter.
Porsche Rescue
Sean,
Is the Rennshift that good of a tailshifter? I have a friend who is thinking of switching to a side shift. The Rennshift would sure be cheaper and easier. Tell me more.
Jim
kdfoust
QUOTE(jim9146 @ Jul 27 2003, 09:43 AM)
Sean,
Is the Rennshift that good of a tailshifter? I have a friend who is thinking of switching to a side shift. The Rennshift would sure be cheaper and easier. Tell me more.
Jim

Oh, I'm not Sean but I've got a Rennshift+tailshifter setup right now. It's sooo much better that I put my side shift tranny and conversion parts up for sale then decided to keep them for a while. When I did my RS conversion I also did do a little rework on parts: 14, and 46 to take the slop out of those fits.

I think we'll see over the next few years that the tail to side shift conversion is obsolete for most applications because of the Rennshift. To clarify a little, the Rennshift installed on tail shifter doesn't feel like the shifter on a late model bimmer (M-Coupe and the like) but I don't accidentally get the wrong gears anymore either. Bang for buck and effort puts the Rennshift at the top of my list (along with new all new bushings in the linkage) for things that make a big difference on 914s.

Have fun,
Kevin
Brad Roberts
I knew we where in the clear when I installed a WEVO in a tailshift car... it changed the car (for the better), but the shifter was designed for a 911... so I had to wait for the Rennshift.

No need to convert a tailshift if you have a Rennshift on the way.

B
seanery
the WEVO was night and day different in that car. It was a pile of dogshit before and wonderful and easy after. That shifter is what made me order a Rennshift. I cursed Brad when he put it on my car for that reason (I didn't really want to spend more money, but I knew I had to have it). I actually haven't driven with the Rennshift yet, but I expect the results to be similar.
brant
Sean,

regarding the brackets...
I've got the motor mounts... so sounds good to me if your willing to sell.

I'll start a new thread this week... but I'm traveling out to san fran next week and was going to see if anyone was interested in a meal... or even some free car labor, while I was there....

I know brad is going to be traveling (WG) but I could either pick up the brackets next week or pay the shipping (on top of the cost) to get them... either way.

thanks
I'll send you a pm tomorrow to work out the details.
brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.