Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trans rebuild.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Archie
Casting about for inspiration for my tranny rebuild, I found this hugely helpful and VERY detailed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-QKVY9o4NU
Superhawk996
Wow! Thanks.

I’ve never stumbled on that. The whole series is there including use of the VW pinion depth setting tool which is the hardest part of a complete trans rebuild. Nice to see the iterative assembly / disassembly / measurement that is required to set pinion depth properly using the VW pinion tool.

Good stuff!
Montreal914
Thank you for sharing! smilie_pokal.gif

Looking forward to carefully watching this.
Archie
Glad that you all enjoyed it! It's a whole lot more precise and less slapdash than a lot of the stuff out there!
Montreal914
Is there a part 2? confused24.gif
Archie
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jul 17 2023, 03:38 PM) *

Is there a part 2? :confused:

Yeah. There are at least two others, I think. You could try searching YouTube for this: Klassik Automotive Training School.
Dr Evil
His series are pretty good. In my DVD rebuild set I cover the 901/902 and show how to do it at home with minimal tools. The setting of the pinion is tedious and takes special tools so that is why I never covered it. As he mentioned in part 1, the owner (Mike) took the transmission apart and he did not have the thickness of the original intermediate plate gasket recorded. This sets the pinion depth. However, anytime I change a bearing or other parts on the pinion, I check the depth with my gauge as I have seen it change and the tolerance is +/- 0.03mm.
The dimension he states in part 2 is for a 902, so dont use that on a later model mag case 901 or it will be very off.
If you plan to do the rebuild yourself, do yourself a favor and record the gasket thickness. If you want a step by step way of how to do it at home with minimal special tools needed, check out my DVD.
Montreal914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 25 2023, 05:33 PM) *

His series are pretty good. In my DVD rebuild set I cover the 901/902 and show how to do it at home with minimal tools. The setting of the pinion is tedious and takes special tools so that is why I never covered it. As he mentioned in part 1, the owner (Mike) took the transmission apart and he did not have the thickness of the original intermediate plate gasket recorded. This sets the pinion depth. However, anytime I change a bearing or other parts on the pinion, I check the depth with my gauge as I have seen it change and the tolerance is +/- 0.03mm.
The dimension he states in part 2 is for a 902, so dont use that on a later model mag case 901 or it will be very off.
If you plan to do the rebuild yourself, do yourself a favor and record the gasket thickness. If you want a step by step way of how to do it at home with minimal special tools needed, check out my DVD.

I have your DVD smilie_pokal.gif and followed it to "rebuild" two without replacing any bearings, but I am interested in knowing more about the pinion depth adjustment. Very good to know the 902 dimension is different than the mag 901. Haven't had the chance to watch his part 2 yet...
oldie914
Look at Pelican for "915 rebuild and ITB/EFI" by evan9eleven. Starting on page 7, there is discussion on tools for setting pinion depth. He chose to modify a VW289d to make a P258 clone but there are other tools shown as well.

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jul 26 2023, 03:38 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 25 2023, 05:33 PM) *

I have your DVD smilie_pokal.gif and followed it to "rebuild" two without replacing any bearings, but I am interested in knowing more about the pinion depth adjustment. Very good to know the 902 dimension is different than the mag 901. Haven't had the chance to watch his part 2 yet...

mepstein
We rebuild a couple transmissions a month at my shop. Mostly 915’s. I was able to pick up this VW385 Toolset. One of the “holy grail” tools for trans rebuilds. Used to set up 915 R&P.
Dr Evil
A small fraction of my everyday use tools. The BW385/30 really reduces the need for all of the setting blocks. I bought this one from a clear out sale on Argentinian eBay. Still was not at all cheap.
Archie
What I find really amusing is the sniffy attitude of 911 owners to the 914 (At least here in Canada!), when the tools needed to work on the transmission are VW in origin!
Archie
What I find really amusing is the sniffy attitude of 911 owners to the 914 (At least here in Canada!), when the tools needed to work on the transmission are VW in origin!
r_towle
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 26 2023, 07:25 AM) *

We rebuild a couple transmissions a month at my shop. Mostly 915’s. I was able to pick up this VW385 Toolset. One of the “holy grail” tools for trans rebuilds. Used to set up 915 R&P.

Really?

Do you do full 915 rebuilds,
Clean, tanked, all new fixes?
1/2 is meh on my 915…. It works, but meh

And how about 901?
mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 27 2023, 11:29 PM) *

Really?

And how about 901?

Yes. Cuda parts washer, 30 gallon ultrasonic, large vapor hone machine. Cleaning it up and making it pretty isn’t an issue. Peter Dawe trained tech has done many, many transmissions over the last 25 years.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 27 2023, 11:29 PM) *

Really?

And how about 901?

You know, transmissions is most of what I do wink.gif

Heated auto parts cleaner is a game changer. The laser helps a ton as well.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.