Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tappet cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Petepat
So I'm have to reset the timing as I lost the original setting. I can get TDC but need to check its on the compression stroke, is there an EASY way of getting the valve cover off without removing exhaust?
brant
Yes. Pull the bale with a rag

I’m never remove the exhaust on a -4 to adjust valves
It’s not necessary and opens another can of worms when dealing with exhaust studs
technicalninja
QUOTE(Petepat @ Jul 13 2023, 12:38 PM) *

So I'm have to reset the timing as I lost the original setting. I can get TDC but need to check its on the compression stroke, is there an EASY way of getting the valve cover off without removing exhaust?

I'd pull # 1 plug, put the hose for the compression tester into cylinder 1, and turn over to feel the pulse of compression. You can use your finger, but it might be sketchy with the tin in place.

Pulling VC is way too much work to come to the same conclusion.

If you're going to check valve clearance anyway, it would be fine to do it the hard way...
Petepat
Hey, I don't have a pressure tester but I do have a piece of old rag which worked perfectly so thank you both for your input. I'm always amazed by how much knowledge this group has which is not theory but hard earned experience. Cheers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.