Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Show me your tool
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
I made a tool once for bending the torsion bars back onto the rollers for the rear trunk Hinges but since I moved and still have stuff in storage I can't find it. worse I can't remember what I did to make the tool. Show mw what you all use to do this.
r_towle
A deep socket on an extension slipped over the spring.
rick 918-S
Went to my storage and found mine.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 13 2023, 07:07 PM) *

Went to my storage and found mine.

beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
WOW!! That is hard. I had to use my tool and a 10mm socket with an extension like Rich mentioned. Damn near took my fingers off twice.
r_towle
Once per car.

rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 13 2023, 09:35 PM) *

Once per car.

I will tell you one thing. I hate that job!
r_towle
I read my response…made me laugh because I found this wrench with a notch cut out and I had no idea why it was like that…

Now I know
ConeDodger
I’ve got the one McMark made sitting on a shelf in the garage. I don’t have the torsion springs anymore though…
rjames
Crescent wrench with a notched handle.
mepstein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 13 2023, 11:15 PM) *

I’ve got the one McMark made sitting on a shelf in the garage. I don’t have the torsion springs anymore though…

Yea, I bought that tool as well. Works great.
ctc911ctc
I bought the largest Craftsman Adjustable they had at the hardware store - I no longer go to the BigBox people - and used an angle grinder to cut the notch. Put on shop goggles and welding gloves and put the steel bearing wheels into place. perfect close, no squeaks.

However, someone in eastern MA has an adjustable wrench with a notch cut out of it - I cannot find mine anywhere! I am sure that one of my son's buddies 'borrowed' it and it is gone.....................

Thank you, needed this therapy
mepstein
Yea, definitely protect your hands and face. There’s a lot of stored energy in that torsion rod.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 13 2023, 08:20 PM) *

I made a tool once for bending the torsion bars back onto the rollers for the rear trunk Hinges but since I moved and still have stuff in storage I can't find it. worse I can't remember what I did to make the tool. Show mw what you all use to do this.

i really expected some off the wall posts to your request in the title but i am impressed people kept it clean lol-2.gif I dont have a picture of my tool but i do have one its about a foot long, size does matter , for leverage that is.... McMarks works great but you probably unless you work in a 914 shop wont use it but once in a life time, but it is in the box. for future use
flipb
If anybody on the East Coast has McMark's tool, I'd happily pay shipping (or pick it up) to borrow it. One side of my trunk has been off for nearly a year. 914 Rubber shipped me the wrong tool; I haven't been able to get it fixed.
North Coast Jim

Here's the one I designed and made. Worked perfectly. It's a two step process to move the torsion bar. Move it half way and support it with a block of wood. Get a new lower purchase on the torsion bar and finish by slipping it over the roller.

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(flipb @ Jul 14 2023, 10:07 AM) *

If anybody on the East Coast has McMark's tool, I'd happily pay shipping (or pick it up) to borrow it. One side of my trunk has been off for nearly a year. 914 Rubber shipped me the wrong tool; I haven't been able to get it fixed.

@flipb

I have one , let me know if you do need it.

Phil
ctc911ctc
High Scool drafting class A+ student here - with the 1cm graph paper
first.gif

QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Jul 14 2023, 08:38 AM) *

Here's the one I designed and made. Worked perfectly. It's a two step process to move the torsion bar. Move it half way and support it with a block of wood. Get a new lower purchase on the torsion bar and finish by slipping it over the roller.

Click to view attachment

Mikey914
The 4 years I spent in drafting class has served me well.
barefoot
I just use a very old fashioned monkey wrench dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.