Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suspension Carrier Bolt Stripped
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jhynesrockmtn
I was making such nice progress on putting together the front suspension on the Bumblebee. A buddy came over this morning and helped me get the rebuilt (914 Rubber) rack with turbo tie rods installed. I then installed the suspension carrier with A Arms with new bushings. Things were going so well. I was a little suspicious of the forward left carrier bolt as the threads looked a bit flat. It was tightening up ok though as I test fit everything. Got the right side installed. Then the left. Went to torque that bolt and it spun. mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

What are my options?

It doesn't look like Restoration design sells this part.

Can I do some type of thread saver repair on it?

If it wasn't a Bumblebee and I wasn't trying to do things pretty by the book I'd clean the metal off and weld the damn thing. Options?????

Click to view attachment

It was going so well

Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
The body side is basically a steel bobbin and should have plenty of meat for a Heli-coil

Far worse when the bolt shears off inside the bobbin due to corrosion.
davep
Jerry, while you are under the car, can you get the transmission # for me please.
jhynesrockmtn
QUOTE(davep @ Jul 14 2023, 06:03 AM) *

Jerry, while you are under the car, can you get the transmission # for me please.

Will do Dave. It's out of the car and on a bench now but shouldn't be a problem.
jhynesrockmtn
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jul 13 2023, 08:57 PM) *

The body side is basically a steel bobbin and should have plenty of meat for a Heli-coil

Far worse when the bolt shears off inside the bobbin due to corrosion.

Thanks. Will discuss with our resident mechanic who makes house calls. He's coming over this morning to help me with a few things on the motor/trans.
jhynesrockmtn
So I found another M12 bolt in good shape. I asked Obie (our house call expert) about trying it. He said, "you won't make it worse. If it doesn't work it all needs to come out so you can Heli-Coil it". It worked, whew. All in except for the sway bar end links (paint drying). Just need to finish the end links, install front bearings and the brake calipers and the front will be done!

Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
You got off lucky! Nice job! aktion035.gif
willieg
For a wacky presentation of comparing thread repairs, go to YouTube and type “Project Farm best damaged thread repairs”. I recently have started using Time Serts but the video tells me my old Heli coil method is just as good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.