Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: painting the trim black on the engine lid Need some photos
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
Need some photos of the engine lid paint under the grille and the area under the side grilles.
Literati914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 13 2023, 09:45 PM) *

Need some photos of the engine lid paint under the grille and the area under the side grilles.

When you say trim, I suppose you’re referring to the actual grill material, and/or the letters? I’d just use SEM trim black or even Rustoleum satin black. Don’t have any pics yet but I’ll be painting the frame under the grill material black, as the small side areas were done from the factory. I’m pretty sure this area was body color on all 914s, though I’ve always considered it ..wrong. I’d only do it that way for a concours car but it’s Jmho. I do like the understated nature of letters painted black too, and have considered it for one of my builds.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
we just did one, lid and sides are flat black, grilles themselves semi gloss, we paint with Wurth trim paint

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 13 2023, 07:45 PM) *

brant
I sprayed flat black also
Masked around the top face.
Did not go but hardly over the top face 1/16 or so
But used a gloss on the mesh
bob164
Here are some pictures of the side vents, hope this helps.

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Rick,

Just went through this a bit ago:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...;hl=grill+paint

I opted for a Satin black for the grill and under the grill.

-Dan
jonferns
I recently went through and freshened up the engine lid - removed grilles, painted, new welting from 914rubber.

I used U-Pol #11 satin black trim paint for grilles and the supports under the grilles

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Thanks! Question: did you paint the engine side of the grille area black also? Jon is the engine side of grille area on yours Black? This is for Juergen's factory 6.
jonferns
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 14 2023, 04:48 PM) *

Thanks! Question: did you paint the engine side of the grille area black also? Jon is the engine side of grille area on yours Black? This is for Juergen's factory 6.

Rick - Grilles are black on both sides. Engine lid structure is painted black on the topside only. The underside (side facing engine) is body color; see below. This is on my '74; lid is original paint.

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
QUOTE(jonferns @ Jul 14 2023, 06:55 PM) *

Rick - Grilles are black on both sides. Engine lid structure is painted black on the topside only. The underside (side facing engine) is body color; see below. This is on my '74; lid is original paint.

Click to view attachment

Thanks! that is exactly what I needed.
Literati914
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jul 14 2023, 10:07 AM) *

[.. I’m pretty sure this area was body color on all 914s, though I’ve always considered it ..wrong.

Not sure where I got that but from all the comments, I’m off on that statement, sorry. I do have these lids with body colored frame tops, as well as a third for the car I’m working on now - it was the same way (I’ve got it in primer atm).

wonkipop
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 14 2023, 09:46 AM) *

we just did one, lid and sides are flat black, grilles themselves semi gloss, we paint with Wurth trim paint

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 13 2023, 07:45 PM) *

the dr. is dead right if its an accurate original paint job you are after.
flat black on the upper surfaces of the frame.
the grille itself is different. semi gloss for sure.
and don't forget the little bit with the rubber buffer on it.

i'm looking at my original from factory and i swear they hand painted those areas after applying main body paint. with a brush. the dr, can comment on my opinion re brush.
biggrin.gif beer.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mlindner
All satin black.Click to view attachment
Shivers
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Ten year old car when I got it. So this is what it shows Flat under the grill. The grill it self , under the molding it casts a lot of light and as I remember the black was a semi gloss. Under the engine lid.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 14 2023, 08:42 PM) *

QUOTE(jonferns @ Jul 14 2023, 06:55 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Thanks! that is exactly what I needed.

Rick, I've only seen a couple of cars with the lid structure painted black, and they all had overspray on the bottom. Both my personal cars have been body color on top.
rudedude
Rick,
Did you get enough info to paint the lid? I could take pics of mine pretty sure it hasn't ever been touched
Jule
rick 918-S
Thanks Jule. I think I did. The grille is going to have to come back off when the car gets to Spain to have a rubber seal added between the lid and the grille. I couldn't reuse the one on the grille. It was brittle. And I do not have the side grilles here. So if the finish on the grille turns out different when Juergen starts to paint the side grilles they can be matched all at the same time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.