Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: 901 side shifter with flipped ring and pinion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
AnthonyM
A few years ago I purchased a 914-6 project from a 914World member and recently got it running. I quickly found out that someone had flipped the ring and pinion, as I had 5 reverse gears and 1 forward gear. This won't work in a mid engine 914 too well, but it will work in a VW chassis or possibly a 911/912 with some modifications. The transmission comes with the shifter fork and T/O bearing. The engine is not for sale and is back in the 914. Maybe someone here is building a VW or speedster replica? I'm asking $1,300.
Dominic
Anthony,
You can flip the diff in less than an hour...pull the shifter console out and the rear cover off, pull the gear stack out, remove the drive flanges and diff side cover. Flip the diff and re-assemble with new gaskets. Be sure to measure the thickness of the gaskets between the case and the intermediate plate before you replace them.
Lots of articles on 914world about the 901 gearbox.

Cheers,
Dominic
stownsen914
You’d want to check the R&P backlash and potentially adjust the shims on the diff carrier. Not that hard and can be done with non expensive tools. (Not necessary to reset pinion depth, that’s the harder one.)
dug
All that assumes that whoever put it together flipped had the pinion depth right, but ~might~ totally work.
AnthonyM
Sounds like it may not be such a hassle to put it back into usable condition again? I'll look into this and possibly keep it if that's the case. The shop that I use for some repairs suggested that this would be a very expensive repair. Thanks again for letting me know that this could be a relatively simpler fix than what they were saying.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.