Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spot Welder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Montreal914
I am considering getting a used 120V spot welder. My thinking is the older rugged style the better vs. new cheapy stuff?

Anyone successfully using 120V system on their restoration work? This type (not necessarily this one) of system?

Any model/brand I should look for on offerup/craigslist?

Thank you for sharing experience/comment! smile.gif

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
I have fried 2 of those like the one pictured only 240V. Would not buy a 120 version. The 240V one works. I have an old Lenco I use. I use it to install body panels instead of plug welding.
tomeric914
If you're spot welding two pieces of 30 gauge tin, the 120 volt unit might work.

I have the 240 volt Horrible Freight spot welder which has worked fairly well up to two pieces of 20 gauge.
Montreal914
Perfect, exactly the type of answer I was looking for.

I have a drier outlet not too far from the garage, maybe I can plug into it. idea.gif

I will focus on 240V units Lenco. I did see a couple of them on CL.

Thank you for the input. smile.gif
76-914
Another option; build one. You'll need to harvest the transformer from an old microwave. Other than that you'll need to construct the loop. there are several "How to" videos on YouTube and they all use the same construction method. beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
tygaboy
agree.gif
Don't go "cheap". I tried the Harbor Frieght model and it was... disappointing.
I ended up with a Quick Spot II from HTP Weld. This was a few years a go so the price was a bit lower.
You can also get different length/shape arms to get to those hard-to-reach places.
It works a charm!

https://usaweld.com/products/quick_spot_ii
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.