Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 70 914. Colorado Springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeK
Hello friends.

I recently acquired a 70, 914 project. It’s a bit rough around the edges, but seems to be a fairly complete car. I’m looking forward to getting it back on the road with some much needed advice from the forum.
NARP74
Welcome to the party!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
my brother Jim, is right there in Centennial if you need instant help. He is quite 914 knowledgeable

QUOTE(MikeK @ Jul 17 2023, 08:17 AM) *

Hello friends.

I recently acquired a 70, 914 project. It’s a bit rough around the edges, but seems to be a fairly complete car. I’m looking forward to getting it back on the road with some much needed advice from the forum.

NARP74
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 17 2023, 09:34 AM) *

my brother Jim, is right there in Centennial if you need instant help. He is quite 914 knowledgeable

QUOTE(MikeK @ Jul 17 2023, 08:17 AM) *

Hello friends.

Now you tell me! I am right next door...
MikeK
I’d like to add some photos, but it’s been challenging.

I’m trying to link photos from my Google Photos page with no success. The album is set to share, but links’s keep getting rejected. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Cairo94507
welcome.png Yeah, posting photos can be a challenge. beerchug.gif
NARP74
Scroll through these a bit, you might find your answer. If not search or post and you will get an answer.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=94568

MikeK
Thanks. I can’t get the photo links to work, but the file attachment does.
MikeK
Here’s my car.
SO.O.C914er
welcome.png Welcome to our mid-engine madness! You’ll find plenty of helpful people here ask and you will receive lol-2.gif
Nate W
welcome.png cool car , looks like a good starting point
MikeK
Thanks for the welcome. I’m sure to be asking plenty of questions.

I don’t have a lot of background on the car. It saw it on CL, contacted the owner (who is a member), and we worked out a mutually beneficial trade. I didn’t think I was going to get back into Porsche ownership, but the stars aligned and here I am.

Current plan is to get it running as it’s been sitting a number of years. Last registered in 2015, so that’s promising.

MikeK
Were the letters gold in 70?
Nate W
Yes all the early cars have the gold metal letters. Not everyone’s style but I think it looks good
Bullethead
welcome.png Congratulations and welcome... that's a great color. Mexico blue?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Adriatic
MikeK
Yes, Adriatic blue.

Here’ something I haven’t seen before. VDO.
MikeK
It looks like it may have come from Stoddards.
MikeK
It has a fancy radio and a wood dash. Are wood dashes original?
MikeK
The motor looks to be pretty complete. A friend and I force fed it some starting fluid and it managed to want to start, but the fuel lines are gummed up pretty bad.
MikeK
I like how fastidious one of the PO’s were. The gauge wiring has the same labels, in the cab area.
MikeK
There’s definitely some ugly. Longs are shot as well some of the floor perimeters. There also seems to be random rust sprinkled about the body. I’m not overly concerned with that right now. First goal is to get it running, then do compression/leak-down tests to see what I have to work with.
MikeK
I picked up some supplies to re-plumb it, 25’ of 5/16 (8mm) nickel-copper line. Lines were drawn through the tunnel pretty easily. I decided to buy the correct grommets while I was at it, so I’m waiting on some small parts before I go much further.
MikeK
I want to run a large OEM filter. I tabbed a bracket which will get plug welded to the firewall.

That’s all I have for now. I’ll report back when I make some more progress.
wonkipop
QUOTE(MikeK @ Aug 3 2023, 01:22 AM) *

It has a fancy radio and a wood dash. Are wood dashes original?

astropulse. ---------->fantastic.
moonage daydream stuff. brilliant.
worth getting the car just for the radio. beerchug.gif
MikeK
I found electric boots and a mohair suit in the trunk. That kooky gauge pod reminds me of the Sleeper house. Colorado folks will know what I’m talking about.

MikeK
Here’s some more wonky stuff. Any idea why these would have been added? The car doesn’t seem especially high. Maybe worn out springs?
MikeK
Regarding the threaded bosses at the bottom of the fuel tank, is there a supply and return? I have both the supply and return fuel taps, both 8mm exterior, the return slightly smaller inside diameter. I’m just not sure which one goes where.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.