Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with Electrical
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hndyhrr
The pumpkin is a 70 4 cyc.

I recently re did the dash. Pulled the whole thing out and reinstalled it.

I changed the instrument lights to LED's except the Alt bulb. Purchased new relay from Spokes and installed that.

Headlights work, turn signal's work except on guage, when I turn for left turn the right light goes on on the guage, when right turn I can hear noise but see no light.

Radio works.

Now the fuel pump and gas tank are not in the car yet. So I am not sure alt light with light because I haven't turn key to start.

Problem is when I pull the emergency flasher switch on # 11 fuse ( 8amp) blows.

Any help would be appreciated. I am 98 percent sure I got all the instrument wires put back in the right places.

Thanks

Renee
hndyhrr
Update

Fuse blows when key is turned.
76-914
Re-install the incandescent bulbs and see if it still blows the fuse. There is a diode in that circuit and I wonder if the use of LED's - which are diodes themselves - have an effect upon that circuit. I chased this problem in my red 914 which has a 73 harness and finally gave up and installed a separate switch for the fog lamps. My switch body was hot as soon as I turned the key on. Drop the switch and check the body for 12v when the key is turned on. In retrospect I thought about the LED bulbs but never took it any further. beerchug.gif
theer
Pop the tach out and double check the wiring. Sounds as if you have the left and right blinker indicator wires reversed, but that shouldn’t cause the fuse to blow… fuse 11 also powers the interior light, check that and the door activator switches wiring?

Here’s a thread with the wiring diagram of the flasher switch, etc. on an early car where the blinker indicator lights in the tach blink left & right, separately. Later tachs only have a single light for either/both directions:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...st&id=87994

Also, if you had the taillights out (for some reason), check those wires, too. It’s very easy to get those wires mixed up. Yes, I know that because I’ve done it!

Grasping at straws: I chased a popping fuse to license plate lights wires touching each other before I had installed the little lights. There’s both power & ground wires back there!

Good luck!
theer
Duplicate post…
hndyhrr
Lol, put old bulbs and relay back in. Everything works as it should. I'm done.Not going to puzzle on this anymore.

Thanks for replys.

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.