Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with 72 1.7 oil leak!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
72 914 Tangerine
I've searched for similar posts and read a bunch of 'oil leak' threads, excuse the noob if this topic already exists!

Recently revived my 72 1.7 after years under a tarp (and re-joined 914world). Car is all original w D-Jet, no mods. It's running great but I noticed oil seemed to be dripping from air filter intake onto drivers side upper engine compartment after a few long drives.

Removed filter housing and wiped everything out - left oil bath dry (temporarily while troubleshooting) and took another short drive. More oil film on the injectors, intake runners, engine tin, etc below air intake - and oil accumulated in the center of filter housing (where it's supposed to be, except it had been dry) plus some around the edges of housing on intake side (where it's not supposed to be?) PCV hoses and vac lines all look to be properly connected. No oil around pressure sender, distributor or filler, no oil dripping underneath (so assume filter isn't leaking). Any thoughts on why it's pumping oil into the filter housing? Thanks!

photos 1 & 3 for reference only - taken after oil was wiped up. Photo 2 taken after 25-30 minutes drive
emerygt350
Blow by? What does the inside of the pcv hose look like?
72 914 Tangerine
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jul 17 2023, 02:02 PM) *

Blow by? What does the inside of the pcv hose look like?

Thx for reply. Forgive me, pcv is the hose going into top of air cleaner? I will have a look when I get hm and reply. Solution for blow by would be new pcv valve?
emerygt350
No, new rings....
emerygt350
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jul 17 2023, 03:52 PM) *

No, new rings....

And I am not on top of 1.7s, you guys have a funky air filter housing!
r_towle
Remove air filter housing
Take the hoses from the head and put both of them into separate clear plastic bottles away from the heated surface of the engine

Still doing it?

It might be the fitting at the end of the hose that is coming from the head, or that hose itself.

Think high pressure (not super high) oil filled air being routed to the intake assembly. If cracked fitting or hose issue, it will spray oil filled air all over the place.
r_towle
I don’t remember what the stock fitting at the head looks like, but I recall fighting this and replacing that fitting
72 914 Tangerine
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jul 17 2023, 04:52 PM) *

No, new rings....
Thanks for the reply emerygt350. I'm not getting smoke from exhaust, so hopefully something less costly to fix than the rings
72 914 Tangerine
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 17 2023, 05:01 PM) *

I don’t remember what the stock fitting at the head looks like, but I recall fighting this and replacing that fitting
Thanks for your reply r towle! That makes sense based on what I'm seeing. I will check out the hose and fitting.
rhodyguy
Hope the oil leak gets solved. But, the cloth wrapped fuel line connected to the metal line looks suspect. The end looks old and cracked. Replace all of the cloth wrapped fuel lines with hoses correct for modern fuels. Before the failure and the potential fire.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.