Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil shooting out tailpipe after sitting for years.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I have a /6 conversion. My engine is a fairly fresh rebuild and has about 500 miles on it. The engine runs extremely well. In 2020, I knew I wasn’t going to be able to have fun with my 914 for a long time so I changed the oil and all the other winterize stuff then packed the car away. Unfortunately cause of all the modifications, I don’t know exactly how much oil my car requires so I filled up the oil tank until oil registered on the dipstick. I was not able to work on the car so I couldn’t get the engine up to temp to check the warm oil temp.

So now that it’s 2023, I’m back and I went to start my engine. It started right up. Ran great right off however it was spitting black oil from the tail pipe. I let it run a little, decided to drain a little oil, thinking that maybe it was overfilled a little. It stopped spitting oil.

Everything runs super well, oil pressure is good. At temp I get a little smoke from exhaust however that just seems to be the oil burning off that was in the exhaust. I also get a little bit of oil smoke from the oil catch can filter.

When the engine is hot, I tried to check the oil and no oil shows up on the dipstick. I’m afraid to add more oil however afraid to drive without oil registering on the dipstick.

Any ideas of how I can verify my oil level?

Any idea as to what would have cause the oil to spit from the exhaust? (My theory- too much oil or Oil leaked past the rings while sitting for long period)

Any idea what would cause the smoke from the oil catch can?
targa72e
When flat motors sit the rings can stick to one side and then when started the engine pumps oil into the exhaust. You now have two problems, a engine pumping out oil and a muffler full of oil. I had the same thing happen with a 911 many years ago. So the easy fix for me to get the rings unstuck was as follows.
I waited until dark and jumped on the freeway (it was close by) and then drove back and forth at 4K RPM for about 15 minutes. Then went home. Next removed muffler and pored out oil. Re-installed muffler and repeated highway trip until smoke stopped.
Car ran fine for years after that.
At the point you are at I would list what your oil system consists of and it is probably similar to someone else who can say "mine takes XXX oi" If the smoke is no longer fogging the whole neighborhood and car is at temp then add until it shows up on dipstick.

john
infraredcalvin
agree.gif

Oil past the rings.

Take off muffler, try to pour any existing oil out, get her to operating temp, fill so oil at least the low dipstick mark, then run it, burn out the rest… Italian tuneup style… keep an eye on pressure and temp…

Then I would do a leak down and compression test, see what kind of shape rings are in…
sixaddict
Anyone believe in an oil change using the miracle oil ( red stuff)…….seems I was told that years ago. Just tossing that out.
davep
You ONLY check the dipstick with the engine RUNNING on the 911 six.
930cabman
QUOTE(davep @ Jul 18 2023, 06:46 AM) *

agree.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Jul 18 2023, 08:25 AM) *

Anyone believe in an oil change using the miracle oil ( red stuff)…….seems I was told that years ago. Just tossing that out.

Marvel mystery oil, the red stuff.
I believe it has some detergent in it and I have used it successful to help unsieze an old 356 motor.
From what I have witnessed it does nothing regarding rust…

Rings stuck in piston groove is a hard thing to solve without some manual effort
But…you can get lucky if it runs, sometimes they loosen up.

Rich
burton73
You have an almost fresh Engen and oil can move from the dry sump to the bottom end of the Engen if it sits in the car for a long time. On my brand new fresh 3.0 Engen, PMB put in a anti siphon valve and that took care of the problem. I think that you should drain the oil and put in that type of valve and then start over. You will just be out the cost of the oil and the Valve, and it may fix up your problem.

Bob B Burton owner of the 30th 914-6

I have the one on right with AN fittings

Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Jul 18 2023, 01:20 PM) *

I have a /6 conversion. My engine is a fairly fresh rebuild and has about 500 miles on it. The engine runs extremely well. In 2020, I knew I wasn’t going to be able to have fun with my 914 for a long time so I changed the oil and all the other winterize stuff then packed the car away. Unfortunately cause of all the modifications, I don’t know exactly how much oil my car requires so I filled up the oil tank until oil registered on the dipstick. I was not able to work on the car so I couldn’t get the engine up to temp to check the warm oil temp.

So now that it’s 2023, I’m back and I went to start my engine. It started right up. Ran great right off however it was spitting black oil from the tail pipe. I let it run a little, decided to drain a little oil, thinking that maybe it was overfilled a little. It stopped spitting oil.

Everything runs super well, oil pressure is good. At temp I get a little smoke from exhaust however that just seems to be the oil burning off that was in the exhaust. I also get a little bit of oil smoke from the oil catch can filter.

When the engine is hot, I tried to check the oil and no oil shows up on the dipstick. I’m afraid to add more oil however afraid to drive without oil registering on the dipstick.

Any idea as to what would have cause the oil to spit from the exhaust? (My theory- too much oil or Oil leaked past the rings while sitting for long period)

You are checking the oil with the engine running ?, I have a PMS filler on stock factory tank,I fill till oil shows on the bottom tip of the dipstick then top up to a mark I made further up and that gives me 10 litres ,my motor is small larger motors take more.
If my motor sits for an extended period which it has many times I crank for a while with the fuel pump switched off then turn it on again after priming and then start it,my theory it will help get more oil back to the tank from the flooded sump.
Under normal conditions I get a small amont of smoke which clears quickly as it should,how much smoke are you getting in your catch tank ? it should only be fumes .
burton73
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 19 2023, 01:21 PM) *

QUOTE(tornik550 @ Jul 18 2023, 01:20 PM) *

You are checking the oil with the engine running ?, I have a PMS filler on stock factory tank,I fill till oil shows on the bottom tip of the dipstick then top up to a mark I made further up and that gives me 10 litres ,my motor is small larger motors take more.
If my motor sits for an extended period which it has many times I crank for a while with the fuel pump switched off then turn it on again after priming and then start it,my theory it will help get more oil back to the tank from the flooded sump.
Under normal conditions I get a small amont of smoke which clears quickly as it should,how much smoke are you getting in your catch tank ? it should only be fumes .

I just went out and started my 3.0 six that had sat for 8 weeks. Just turned the key and it started right up. No smoke just perfect. Now I have modern EFI but on a fresh Engen by PMB and its 70 outside.

Bob B Burton

SirAndy
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 18 2023, 11:16 AM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Jul 18 2023, 06:46 AM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif
technicalninja
I've only messed with 964s but those puppies need the engine to be running and the oil to be hot- up to full temperature or you risk overfilling it.

When cold they look 1-2 quarts low, and they are not...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.