Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finish question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyA
What is the finish on #6. Is it zinc, Cad or painted?
Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Black oxide
TonyA
Thanks
Mikey914
Black paint maybe. Black oxide will turn rust. I thought these were cadmium plated.
If it is coated with a wax it could work for that application, but everything else was a cad coat. Not to say they didn't do it, but why?
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 19 2023, 12:38 PM) *

Black paint maybe. Black oxide will turn rust. I thought these were cadmium plated.
If it is coated with a wax it could work for that application, but everything else was a cad coat. Not to say they didn't do it, but why?

All depends who you are building it for, you or the judges. I throw those parts in my plating pile and they come back looking shiny and clean.
TonyA
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 19 2023, 01:04 PM) *

All depends who you are building it for, you or the judges. I throw those parts in my plating pile and they come back looking shiny and clean.

A little of both. Most judges don’t even know. I like the challenge of doing it right or at least how the engineers wanted things finished for a reason. I had someone once tell me that creamsicles and LE cars only came with black interiors. Well I have one with a cinnamon interior and it states so on the COA. We learn something everyday about these cars.
mepstein
QUOTE(TonyA @ Jul 19 2023, 02:02 PM) *

A little of both. Most judges don’t even know. I like the challenge of doing it right or at least how the engineers wanted things finished for a reason. I had someone once tell me that creamsicles and LE cars only came with black interiors. Well I have one with a cinnamon interior and it states so on the COA. We learn something everyday about these cars.

beerchug.gif
Cal

Tony, I’ve yet to meet a supposed qualified judge at a PCA event or car show that fully understands what a proper 914 should look like.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Cal @ Jul 19 2023, 09:00 PM) *

Tony, I’ve yet to meet a supposed qualified judge at a PCA event or car show that fully understands what a proper 914 should look like.

I agree about unqualified judges.
There was a very good 6 at a recent Parade that had some pretty obvious
mistakes and omissions. But was a big winner.

Pic shows un-disturbed black oxide finish protected behind washer.
TonyA
Thanks black oxide it is. Click to view attachment
DennisV
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 19 2023, 09:38 AM) *

FWIW - When I was at Luftgekult I had a chance to speak with the person running the technical side of Porsche Classic Restorations from Atlanta. I asked him about the plating used on hardware for 60s and 70s cars. In general, he indicated Zinc was used. Not cad. Clear chromate (silver appearance) for 60s and yellow chromate (gold appearance) for 70s. I asked the question in the vein of what was original, but it is possible he meant that is what is used today when restoring.

This seems consistent with the 356 parts catalogs I have which lists coating for a lot of the parts (e.g. gal zn 12). I've not found similar detail in 914 catalogs or references to cad.

I've done quite a bit of homework on this and realize the plating debates will probably never end. Other than the PCNA discussion, the most definitive discussion I've found is on the Early 911S Registry forum. Its sounds pretty convincing and applicable to all Porsche’s regardless of model.

With regards to black, in the 356 catalogs there is reference to both black phosphate and black zinc. I don't know if you can tell what is on a part just by looking at it. I will probably err towards zinc as I understand it is more durable.
  • gal zn 9 (zinc - black chromate)
  • phr e (phosphate, black in appearance)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.