Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting trunk unlocking mechanism on this 1.8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sm914650
Went and looked at this 74 on CL yesterday in hopes of it being a 2.0 and not knowing what they have. Ended up being a 1.8. Not sure what the situation w the apprearance package is cause they said the fuchs weren’t on the car when they got it, however the center console oil temp is functioning. Replacement windshield. One of the lowest rust cars I’ve seen.
Funny thing was, since it has the added Heckblende panel installed, asked them how the trunk is opened:
Two person job!
Key stays in ignition, theres a switch under the steering wheel to the right of the fuse box. One person has to press that switch while the other opens the trunk biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Thought that was pretty funny. Sad to see such a rust free car get that treatment and get jimmy rigged out like that.

Made me curious how the rest of ya’s with the Heckblendes are opening your trunks!
Cairo94507
Hopefully the new owner will remove that panel and return it to a stock appearance. Typically the trunk is accessed with an electric solenoid when that panel is added. Thanks for sharing. beerchug.gif
NARP74
I am sort of dealing with, ignoring this right now. Car came with one but electric option never completed. Has the secondary option of a wire out the trunk bottom. I have noticed that the trunk does not spring up with this option installed. Probably why it takes two people to open when it is installed and working. I have not looked into why yet. Call it a theft deterrent.
Shivers
Click to view attachment

My first test I only used the part in the picture. I turned on the power source and this part shot over my head and landed two feet behind me. The spring should lift the trunk lid on its own. That was the design with the button.
Craigers17
Down and dirty, but simple, with only a short cable pull with little to no risk of failure. I'm gonna remove that electrical tape after I paint the trunk and shrink wrap it.

Click to view attachment
fiacra
@Sm914650

Thanks for saving me the trouble of going to look at the car! I saw it on CL the other day and also thought it might be a 2.0. Was all geared up to go take a look and see. I also saw the bowing in the rear reflector and was wondering what was going on there. I have a rear reflector on my 914 that was put on by a previous owner and it has a drilled hole in it that you put a small diameter rod through to manually push open the latch. I use an old screwdriver with the tip removed. I know it's sacrilege to have done this to a 914, but having a rear reflector increases visibility and I'm not opposed to any modifications that increase safety....
burton73
I have seen the stock Chrome lock push opener used when a hole was drilled in the rear 911 plastic lens. It did not look bad at all. It just needs to be in the right spot.

No need for secret agent man inside button.

Bob B
930cabman
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Jul 21 2023, 09:34 AM) *

Down and dirty, but simple, with only a short cable pull with little to no risk of failure. I'm gonna remove that electrical tape after I paint the trunk and shrink wrap it.

Click to view attachment

+1, Down and dirty
emerygt350
I have the solenoid but it isn't strong enough to unlatch unless you are pushing down. I have grown fond of my little pigtail down below.
Sm914650
@fiacra no worries, it is a nice car. Definitely not the potential flip we both thought it couldve been biggrin.gif the lady that owns it bought it in ‘95 and said she’s only put 5k miles on it. Just not looking for a 1.8 personally and they are asking a bit much. Interior is spotless too and has the rear defroster option. Car definitely need some TLC though
@burton73 this seems like it is the way to go! Haha
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.