Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing fuel lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aeginc77
I can't be the only owner of a 914 that has had deteriorating rubber fuel lines but I can't seem to find the right posts covering this. Basically the fabric covered rubber fuel lines seem to deteriorate and split probably as a result of the ethanol in the fuel. Does anyone know if there are any replacements that hold up with the ethanol fuel. I ordered a new 7mm line from Pelican Parts and it seems to be the same German fabric covered rubber that was originally installed.
fiacra
http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Fuel-Lines-srch.html

Not necessarily recommending you buy the kits from AA, but here is a link as a starting point.
mepstein
I’ve bought the ss lines from tangerine racing a couple times. Very recommended

https://tangerineracing.com/shop/ols/categories/fuel-system
BillJ
For correct you need to use the fabric covered. However i purchased new lines specifically rated for FI from flaps for piece of mind. This, coupled with stainless steel, was perfect and safe.
aeginc77
QUOTE(BillJ @ Jul 21 2023, 12:43 PM) *

For correct you need to use the fabric covered. However i purchased new lines specifically rated for FI from flaps for piece of mind. This, coupled with stainless steel, was perfect and safe.

Could you send link for "flaps" not sure I know who they are.

Thanks
iankarr
FLAPS=friendly local auto parts store
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(aeginc77 @ Jul 21 2023, 01:05 PM) *

Could you send link for "flaps" not sure I know who they are.

Thanks

LOL... I asked that same question years ago on Rennlist. Not the current Rennlist, but when it was a email bbs system before Club/World even existed. lol-2.gif

So don't feel embarrassed. biggrin.gif
BillJ
I used advanced auto. Make sure they sell you FI hose. The carb pressures are MUCH lower.
mepstein
QUOTE(BillJ @ Jul 21 2023, 04:09 PM) *

I used advanced auto. Make sure they sell you FI hose. The carb pressures are MUCH lower.

I did the same. I walk in back and pick out what I need from the rolls of fuel hose. They also carry the correct fuel clamps.
BillJ
Yes the clamps are important!!! Do not use the crappy ones that are all holes. They will pinch and apply uneven pressure across the hose.
930cabman
Napa has always done good by me for fuel hose and band clamps.
914werke
Gates Barricade
second wind
OK....I just went through this....when I would head out to the car and see a puddle of gas under it it kinda' ruined my mood to even start the car let alone go on a drive. I used the fabric covered lines to be correct and "european" but the ethanol in Los Angeles chews them right up. The fix is using R30 9 fuel line from Gates or Continental.....Cadna 50087 is the Continental brand at advanced auto parts....what a difference!!!! Good luck....doing all of the work under the car left me with a stiff neck...took two months...no leaks now though....Euro trash !!!
gg
jhynesrockmtn
AA sells an engine compartment fuel line kit. I've replaced them on a couple of cars along with the tunnel lines with stainless from Tangerine Racing. You'll need a bit of extra hose to do the gas tank to the stainless lines and lines from the rear firewall to the stainless lines Chris supplies that go from underneath the engine to the engine compartment.
aeginc77
QUOTE(second wind @ Jul 21 2023, 08:08 PM) *

OK....I just went through this....when I would head out to the car and see a puddle of gas under it it kinda' ruined my mood to even start the car let alone go on a drive. I used the fabric covered lines to be correct and "european" but the ethanol in Los Angeles chews them right up. The fix is using R30 9 fuel line from Gates or Continental.....Cadna 50087 is the Continental brand at advanced auto parts....what a difference!!!! Good luck....doing all of the work under the car left me with a stiff neck...took two months...no leaks now though....Euro trash !!!
gg

Thanks. Great input
r_towle
I got a “kit” from 914rubber
I also had to order the pre bent injector lines from pelican

All new clamps , smooth fuel line clamps, not serrated.
mepstein
QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Jul 22 2023, 09:59 AM) *

AA sells an engine compartment fuel line kit. I've replaced them on a couple of cars along with the tunnel lines with stainless from Tangerine Racing. You'll need a bit of extra hose to do the gas tank to the stainless lines and lines from the rear firewall to the stainless lines Chris supplies that go from underneath the engine to the engine compartment.

I’m pretty sure Chris still sells all 4 ss lines. Engine and tunnel. You can call him and ask but that’s where I’ve always bought mine.
930cabman
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 22 2023, 04:42 PM) *

I’m pretty sure Chris still sells all 4 ss lines. Engine and tunnel. You can call him and ask but that’s where I’ve always bought mine.

And Chris is a great guy to work with
jhynesrockmtn
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 22 2023, 03:42 PM) *

I just did new lines in my Bumblebee with Chris's lines. The kit came with 5. There is a small reducer that connects to the larger supply line coming from the fuel tank down to the smaller hose size.
L-Jet914
I got my fuel line set (still have to install) from Tangerine Racing. I got my fuel hose from Rock Auto as they had the best price per foot/meter at the time Gates Barricade EFI hose. I also purchased a set of fuel injection hose clamp assortment from amazon.
VaccaRabite
Do no use the cloth covered fuel line.
Even the stuff they say is rated for Ethanol. Just don't.

First of all, its not SAE rated. And it looks just like the old non-ethanol line. Even if a seller is not trying to get rid of old stock, you don't know what you are getting.

Second, the fabric covering hides cracking issues that may be developing in the rubber, making a visual inspection pointless. You can't see a problem till the fuel line is wet with gas seeping through.

I know this past spring it was hard to find the proper SAE 30r9 rated fuel line locally, but a little calling around found what I needed.

I, personally, will only use a fuel line that has the SAE rating printed on the line.
aeginc77
QUOTE(second wind @ Jul 21 2023, 08:08 PM) *

gg

I think I am facing replacing all the lines. Did you have to remove the fuel tank to get to the hoses that go into the tank. My 914 is a 1975 so the fuel pump is in the front trunk but I think I still need to remove the tank to access the hoses. There is a small access plate under the car but it doen't look big enough to easily change hoses. Your thoughts?

Alan
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(aeginc77 @ Jul 26 2023, 09:37 AM) *

I think I am facing replacing all the lines. Did you have to remove the fuel tank to get to the hoses that go into the tank. My 914 is a 1975 so the fuel pump is in the front trunk but I think I still need to remove the tank to access the hoses. There is a small access plate under the car but it doen't look big enough to easily change hoses. Your thoughts?

Alan

Yes, you want to pull the tank out. Its not that much effort.

On my tank I put a molex connector on the three wires that go to the gas gauge sender so I can just unplug that rather then un-bolt the filler and all that jazz.

Once the tank is drained (which I do by siphoning out the top) its only about 15 minutes to pull out the tank.

Zach
aeginc77
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jul 26 2023, 10:32 AM) *

QUOTE(aeginc77 @ Jul 26 2023, 09:37 AM) *

Alan

Yes, you want to pull the tank out. Its not that much effort.

On my tank I put a molex connector on the three wires that go to the gas gauge sender so I can just unplug that rather then un-bolt the filler and all that jazz.

Once the tank is drained (which I do by siphoning out the top) its only about 15 minutes to pull out the tank.

Zach

Thank you Zach! I appreciate the info!
KYBluegrass
Is the original fuel line connections between the tank and the back of the 914 metal? Or does the stainless line option replace actual rubber lines?
930cabman
I must say this is one of the easier jobs on a 914. I am new to the 914 crowd, 3 years and was hearing all this and that regarding the original plastic fuel lines. Looking at the project my gut was saying this will be a major pita job. Once I got into it the job went very well, in part due to Mr Chris Foley down at Tangerine Racing. Yes the fuel tank must be removed.
Freezin 914
QUOTE(KYBluegrass @ Aug 16 2023, 05:46 AM) *

Is the original fuel line connections between the tank and the back of the 914 metal? Or does the stainless line option replace actual rubber lines?

The stainless kit everyone is talking about replaces the fuel lines in the tunnel. The original are a plastic material. There are a couple more stainless lines in the engine bay as well, but most are referring to the tunnel in particular.
Freezin 914
@VaccaRabite please tell me more about the molex connector. Sounds like a very good idea. Maybe a picture if available…. idea.gif
MikeK
….
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Aug 16 2023, 08:18 AM) *

@VaccaRabite please tell me more about the molex connector. Sounds like a very good idea. Maybe a picture if available…. idea.gif

Its really easy, and there are a TON of 3 gang connectors on the market right now. I used Molex as I could find it easily at Radio Shack (which is also a hint at how long ago I did this - all the local shacks have been gone for ages here). But really any 3 pin connector will work, including just crimping on male and female spade connectors. Just make sure they are shrink tubed so they don't short against each other.

Zach
BillJ
Molex
Freezin 914
I like the idea. Thank you.
Rufus
Molex / AMP connector need? A difference between years or between -4’s & -6’s?

I have the gas tank out of my ‘70 914/6 for cleaning, fuel line replacement, etc. The wiring harness has an electrical connector that easily plugs & unplugs to / from the gas tank level sending unit.

Further clarification may help future readers …
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.