Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: trans-formation!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Duffster
here are a couple of progress pictures... externals...
Duffster
moooooore...
redshift
huh.gif ohmy.gif
Duffster
'gin...
Duffster
last...
Duffster
one a these days I gotta take this thing apart and strip the tub... god, that looks awful underneath! ohmy.gif
markb
Geez, Duff, as if your car wasn't cool enough already. What all is being done?
John
How did you plumb the cooler? I wish you would have taken pics of where you attached the lines to the trans case.

Did you put squirters over each of the gears?

Is that a freshly done trans? Have you used the billet intermediate plate before or is that new? (I put one together with the billet int. plate but haven't tried it yet...)

Just my bunch of questions.

It looks good.
Aaron Cox
Pump Cooler Spraybars?

very cool.... what did the bill come out to? (cheaper than a wevo'd 915???)

Very cool man!

A-Ron
Duffster
I was sick of the tranny noises that were generated at the WCC track day. (It turned out to be the midplate bearing turning into dust)

So I completely lost my mind on a rebuild/replacement. 914-6 case, billet midplate, billet bearing retainers, 904 mainshaft, ultra trick-top-secret gears and syncros made of unobtainium and hardend with carboncarboncarbon, and polished with dilithium oxide.

This is all because Seemore wouldn't allow me to take extreme advantage of him and sell me his built up box.... smash.gif
I'm joining the twelve step group for stoopid 914 modifications tomorrow.
John
Is the suction line connected to the drain plug? (That's the only place I could think of)

Is that a tilton pump? (That's what I have sitting on a shelf)

How did you figure out how much gear lube to put in there with a cooler and pump?

Inquisitive minds want to know...
Aaron Cox
if the pump and its hosese....were full of oil.... wouldnt you just fill untill it would begin to come out the fill plug?

prime the lines/cooler/pump and then fill to top plug no?
John
prime the lines/cooler/pump and then fill to top plug no?

Perhaps. Is this how it's done? (I'm just asking)

What is used for the spraybar or squirters for the gears?
redshift
Seems like whatever is above the hole... would come out? No?

biggrin.gif

..and I am drunk.

M
ArtechnikA
with both the cooler inlet and the outlet at the bottom, and higher than the trans, the cooler will fill up with a big air bubble and will be essentially un-utilised. the oil will just flow in the bottom of the cooler since the fluid flow won't be abl;e to displace the bubble.

coolers should be plumbed in at the bottom, out at the top - or both at the top.

(would you rather know this now, or later...?)

you don't have to believe me, check out 'Prepare To Win' - and the cooler plumbing on successful cars...
Duffster
Well...its like this... The scavenge line is plumbed to a newly drilled hole in the side of the case that lies below the oil level at max fill. It goes directly to the cooler which feeds from the bottom on the right. The outlet in the cooler comes off the lower left, although it actually draws from the upper left corner of the cooler core, and passes over the top of the case to the filter and then to the pump and into the old filler hole where the spray bar connects.

To fill it we uncoupled the scavenge line and put the end onto the LSD oil container and started the pump. When lube came out the scavenge hole and didn't have any bubbles, we recoupled the hose and put in some more through the old fill hole/spray bar connection until it was above the new fill line and closed her up. I can add and or check it from the hole in the filter housing... cool_shades.gif I wasn't watching how much it took (my bad...). The fill hole on the filter is where the thermostat goes that starts the pump when the car abuse starts to take its toll.
Duffster
oh yeah... AArun... think about the annual gross domestic product for Nicaragua... And to think I passed on a 65K mile 915 with factory LSD from a 82 Euro Carrera that already HAD a bloody oil cooler!!! headbang.gif Darn you, Seemore!!!

How you doin' anyhow?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Duffster @ Aug 16 2005, 08:31 PM)
oh yeah...  AArun...   think about the annual gross domestic product for Nicaragua...  And to think I passed on a 65K mile 915 with factory LSD from a 82 Euro Carrera that already HAD a bloody oil cooler!!! headbang.gif Darn you, Seemore!!!

How you doin' anyhow?

and an integral pump smile.gif

cant wait to see it duffy....

when you going to come to the next socal shindig?

kravig doing all the work? wink.gif

im doing ok.... got more projects than i can handle.... work ends this week. so does cashflow smile.gif

AA
markb
Wow! Nice. smilie_pokal.gif
Duffster
I be out when it slows down a little at work. Kravig is doing it cause I can't find enough time to anything it seems. I figured if I wasn't going to go the way of 914lvr, I was going to have to shed a few urgent projects to those that can do 'em without having to do 'em over three or four times. biggrin.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.