Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: trailering questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
robkammer
All: Planning ahead for Okteenerfest in TN this fall. Put out feelers to borrow or rent a lightweight car trailer form the local chapter but no dice. My two options are U-haul, heavy, easy to secure the car, but a real pain with the little bit of ground clearance.

The second option is a tilting flatbed equipment trailer. Easy loading, but I'm not sure how I would be able to safely secure the car. Unlike the Uhaul, the flatbed only has tie down access along the sides, designed for regular ratchet straps. Where the Uhaul uses strap harnesses to hold the front wheels tight to the deck

Any input is appreciated. Driving isn't in the cards, 500 plus miles each way and I would need a stretcher!
914Sixer
IF you go the UHaul route make sure you add a chain through front tow hook to trailer frame. The ratchet straps are flakey at best, front chain was the only thing that kept car from leaving trailer.
mepstein
I’ve towed dozens of cars with my featherlite and many with a uhaul. I would take the tilting trailer option over the uhaul every time. I hate the uhaul wheel straps. I’d much rather crank down a strap on the suspension or around the wheels than over the tire. If you want to call me and learn how to tie down your car, I’m happy to help. 914’s are easy.

I just did this 356 a couple days ago.
sixaddict
While uhauls are heavy and not pretty they tow really well….plus have surge brakes.
The lip on the front will destroy an air dam/spoiler if you aren’t careful. …(don’t ask)
If car is low you need 2x 6 or 8s to get front up. Standard valance probably no issue.
I have always used straps on rear but agree with Mark. ………chain is good insurance.
mlindner
six addict +1, U-hauls work really well. And yes, precut 2x8's to raise fronts.
r_towle
What wheels do you have?

If a strap fits, I strap the front wheel to each side, and the rear I strap to the opposite side to keep the ass from sliding.

Way easier to do the wheels versus anything underneath
robkammer
Thanks guys! You pretty much helped confirm my inclination. I'll go with the U haul. I still have the planks I used when we trailered our 986S to Knoxville for a trip to Amelia. Probably will need to add a couple more to protect the front spoiler on the BB. Enjoy the rest on the summer!
Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.