Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GONE - Complete drivetrain from 1972 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
dug
Hi,

I have a 1972 (build date 11/71) 914 1.7L engine with D-Jet injection and tail-shifter transmission I will be removing to install a six.

I bought the car in Colorado, and drove it back to California, so it runs and drives, but it is tired and leaking from all the usual places.

It has nice 1.7 SSI heat exchangers and a practically new muffler which have some value, but I'd rather see the whole thing go to someone that needs it all than part it out and put half of it in the dumpster.

So, you can have the WHOLE drivetrain for FREE if you come to Santa Cruz, CA and take it all away.

First PM or email received gets first dibs, and I will work with you to coordinate a good pickup time for both of us, but I will move on to the next if pickup dates are missed without timely communications.
BillJ
You're a good man charlie brown
dug
Got first PM from kkid.
So it has been claimed for the moment pending pickup arrangements.
Thanks 914 world!
cheers,
dug
930cabman
QUOTE(BillJ @ Jul 21 2023, 06:12 PM) *

You're a good man charlie brown

Not just Charlie, I have found many good folks right here on 914 World

BTW, how is your /6 conversion moving? I am doing one also
dug
Engine removed and ready for pickup by kkid next weekend.
I'll let backups know if something falls through.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Ottomotion
I love these lift carts. Perfect for pulling these motors and trans.....
dug
kkid picked up the engine. Thanks to all who showed interest.

@Ottomotion yes they are perfect when coupled with an engine stand that has the U shaped legs. You can see it in the background of the first pic.

@930cabman I will start a build thread soon with details, but removing the 1.7 was just the first step. Time to clean up the engine bay, treat the hell hole and any other spots I find after removing the 4 cylinder mounts, and get the 6 cylinder mount welded in.
930cabman
QUOTE(dug @ Aug 6 2023, 05:38 PM) *

kkid picked up the engine. Thanks to all who showed interest.

@Ottomotion yes they are perfect when coupled with an engine stand that has the U shaped legs. You can see it in the background of the first pic.

@930cabman I will start a build thread soon with details, but removing the 1.7 was just the first step. Time to clean up the engine bay, treat the hell hole and any other spots I find after removing the 4 cylinder mounts, and get the 6 cylinder mount welded in.

I am a month or two ahead of you. The Maddog OEM style engine mount is installled, the /4 engine mounts are gone, hell hole is cleaned up. Now I am onto the rear trunk floor and will be starting the oil system plumbing soon. I have a fresh 2.7 on the shelf just waiting.
How bad is the rusting on your project?
dug
It's not busting through anywhere. There is one dime sized soft spot where it looks like the driver side donut-triangle was ripped away... reversed over a parking block maybe?
The hell hole is all still there, I'm going to clean it and treat it. Remove the 4 cyl engine mount consoles and hope for the best underneath, fingers crossed.
Then I'll add a factory 6 firewall mount, and some Tangerine heim-link braces, and paint the whole lower engine bay.
Then oil system plumbing, front hard-lines and tank from Ben. Setrab cooler and large capacity filter bypass valve. Sort of a modern GT edit.
Then the full 5-lug swap, S calipers, Rebel bushings, rebuilt rears
Then install engine which I've somehow built in my other non-existent other spare time:)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.