Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine lid rain tray
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JFG
What are they made of? are there any trays that go under the vents beside the engine lid?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(JFG @ Jul 22 2023, 07:24 AM) *

What are they made of? are there any trays that go under the vents beside the engine lid?

They are made from injection molded plastic.

There are two versions, 70-72 and 72 mid year to 76.

There are no rain trays for the side grills. And that was the reason the hell hole rusted out. When it rained, water came in the grill, got on top of the battery and filled the cells via the vent holes. That washed acid onto the battery tray and everything below it. So the hell hole and the suspension console would rust away.

The 914-6 never used a rain tray.
bkrantz
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 22 2023, 06:32 AM) *

QUOTE(JFG @ Jul 22 2023, 07:24 AM) *

They are made from injection molded plastic.

There are two versions, 70-72 and 72 mid year to 76.

There are no rain trays for the side grills. And that was the reason the hell hole rusted out. When it rained, water came in the grill, got on top of the battery and filled the cells via the vent holes. That washed acid onto the battery tray and everything below it. So the hell hole and the suspension console would rust away.

The 914-6 never used a rain tray.

I claim sabotage by the 911 guys in the Porsche design department.
JFG
Thanks for the info. i think i'll make my own. they're not readily available here. The cost of shipping and taxes makes it non economical. that will give something else to do over winter.
KSCarrera
QUOTE(JFG @ Jul 22 2023, 06:02 PM) *

Thanks for the info. i think i'll make my own. they're not readily available here. The cost of shipping and taxes makes it non economical. that will give something else to do over winter.

Where are you located?
JFG
I'm in Pen y bont.
KSCarrera
QUOTE(JFG @ Jul 23 2023, 09:40 AM) *

I'm in Pen y bont.

I got one simply by advertising on the UK914 Facebook page - was offered three, if I recall. Try Karmann Konnection (I know they had some), or Angus at Greatworth Classics.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.