Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My New Project 74 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bigdamdork
Hello Everyone. First post so hope I don't screw it up too bad. Just picked up this '74 here on the Central Coast and started to get into it today. I had a 72 when I was 19 (so let's just say more than 30 years ago) and have been dying to get my hands on another one for years. This one popped up a week or so ago. Was rescued out of a field but non other than a German Auto Mechanic. He said he went through the engine, ran a compression test, fluids, wires, plugs, new injectors, etc. She runs AMAZING. I can stand outside the car and turn the key and she fires within a crank two. Very happy with that aspect.

I knew she had some rust and after 1,434 YouTube videos on restoring a 914 I figured I might as well jump in. I just pulled the interior and started working on the sound deadening. (tar?) I have some spots on the floor pan that have rusted through but checked the majority of the pan with my rust detection device (hammer) and it seems like there are only a few bad spots. Still plan on getting all the sound deadening up to be sure but looks like maybe I won't have to do the whole pan....maybe just patch it.

I know the rocker panel on the passenger is going to be pretty ugly (haven't uncovered yet) and the engine bay is showing signs of deterioration but not nearly as bad as I have seen in other hell holes.

I guess my main question is there an order I should be going in to strip it all down and find all the rust? Interior first? Rocker Panels, Drop Engine then address engine tray/battery area? I'm decently intimidated but I'm also pretty handy. I've restored a few motorcycles in the past, etc. Basically, I'm mechanically inclined, but I'm not auto body-restoring person. I have a lot more confidence rebuilding things like steering and suspension, etc.

Side note, the registration in the glove box went back to '78 the couple who the mechanic bought the car from. Long story short is I think I am the third owner which would be kind of cool. Not sure though.

Would love any comments or suggestions on which order I should take things. Any suggestions are so appreciated. Looking forward to chatting with some of you and learning from the experts.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=882
492]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Freezin 914
welcome.png

Looks like you some work ahead of you. But you are saving another one from the crusher. Keep us updated on progress.
steuspeed
Seen much worse, but you have some work ahead of you. Good news if the engine is running at this stage.
steuspeed
Did you get the Fuchs? Pretty good deal on those wheels. They are very desirable.
Cairo94507
welcome.png That will be a nice project. Looks like a nice car worth of saving. beerchug.gif
930cabman
welcome.png

Yep, you got your work cut out for you. Not for the timid, the crazy maybe
Bigdamdork
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Jul 23 2023, 01:20 AM) *

Did you get the Fuchs? Pretty good deal on those wheels. They are very desirable.

I reached out to him yesterday. Hope to hear back. I'll grab those today if they are available.
burton73
Welcome to the world. You have the car now you have your work cut out for you. The first look to me says you should put in a full floor pan because what you are showing tells me that there will be a lot more there. The right longs will be gone (rusted all over)

It is what it is! Learn to weld if you do not know how to. Plenty of info how to fix the body, ask for help on what you can not find. Search Eng is your friend. Ask Google the question then ask it in a different way … rusted pan 914world , rusted long 914

Good luck on this and take it slow and you should be fine.

Best Bob B
welcome.png

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.