Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slightly ot— bought my first classic that has no aftermarket. Mikey, please help.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914xr75
So I bought a 1975 AMC pacer Father daughter project. My daughter and I love these. I had ads on marketplace and craigslist for several months searching for one. I was only interested in the 1975 because of California’s bogus smog rules. I was looking for a super nice original complete one. could not find it.

So an amazing deal at $2600 with a super reliable engine came my way and I couldn’t pass it up. I’m going to paint it myself, so that’s not a problem. The problem is nothing is available on the aftermarket. I like having a new clear windshield on all my classics. started my search to see where I can buy one. guess what? Nobody makes the. some clever pacer owners actually make a windshield out of plexiglass. How unsafe is that?

There are several Facebook forums, and there’s even a forum for people who want a windshield. There’s a list of people who have been on this list for 10 years doesn’t sound like that is ever going to happen. One guy turned me onto an antique glass place who has the last NOS 1975 pacer windshield in existence. It’s in Canada and it would cost $2400 including freight and tax. My wiper scratched windshield doesn’t look so bad anymore. I’ll let Jay Leno get that one. It’s not just the windshield that’s not available. It’s everything except for spark plugs, air filter, rear shocks, and other items like that.

Well, my point is, I want to thank George and Mikey. Without those two heroes, we would be in the same boat. I realized I take for granted the fact that I can pick up a catalog and pretty much buy anything for my classics. 914 heroes thank you.

There were actually 240,000 AMC pacer made. that’s a lot. I know George probably wouldn’t want to look into the Pacer, but how about Mikey? Anybody else experience this in their other oldies?

Click to view attachment
r_towle
Google how to polish a windshield or better yet let a professional do it.

You might want to get a 3d printer for all the rest of the things you can’t find.

Back in the day, 20++ years ago, I bought more than a few 914s just for parts to build one 914.
I recall buying a nasty rusted out car that folded in half when I pulled it off the trailer.

BUt, it had perfect windshield trim.

Rich
914xr75
Great tips there. Anyone in the Los Angeles area know of somebody who will polish a windshield? The local place by me said he wouldn’t touch it.
rhodyguy
Jeweler’s rouge might help with the scratches.
Craigers17
Party on! aktion035.gif

Please paint it like this:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

rhodyguy
That’s the ticket! Nice kit. Inexpensive option/experiment. Too bad it’s a month or so out.
anderssj
Nice car!

Click to view attachment
914xr75
That’s a nice remover kit, but I want to get a pro to do it. I’d rather keep the light scratches than chance messing them up with further. If anyone does come up with someone in the Los Angeles area or Orange County, I would really appreciate it.

Mikey914
Yes polishing is an option. It takes a LONG time, and may not get deeper damage out. Also, I'm assuming it's laminated. If so you have to be careful not to use too much pressure or you can crack it.
URY914
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.