Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 0% Ethanol
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NARP74
I recently found a station that is selling 0% Ethanol. It is a little more expensive. Any advantages or disadvantages to running a tank full once in a while?
Superhawk996
You’ll get a little better fuel economy since pure gasoline has higher energy density than ethanol mix.

It won’t benefit you much running an occasional tank. Far better to use it to fill up the tank before storage. That way you minimise moisture (ethanol binds with water molecules) in the tank while it’s being stored.

If you are running carbs you’ll have some nuance in tuning switching back and forth. Won’t be drastic but you’ll find that it’s running richer on pure gas without the ethanol acting as an oxidiser adding oxygen from the ethanol.
rfinegan
hydrophobic vs hydroscopic mixing back and forth can leave you with water on the bottom and gas on the top...cant run on water....
914Sixer
Extra 50-75 miles per tank for my 2013 Silverado. Truck is back to running like a bat out of hell.
Freezin 914
I only run no ethanol 91 octane all the time.
Aerostatwv
I never thought about running it in my 2011 Suburban. I watch my mileage closely and have tried all of the different octanes, nothing increased the mileage. Since it wasn't rattling the valves, no use running premium or middle grade. Several stations have started offering ethanol free where I live so I will probably try a couple of tanks worth and review the results.

Thanks for the idea Mark!

Chris

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 23 2023, 06:35 PM) *

Extra 50-75 miles per tank for my 2013 Silverado. Truck is back to running like a bat out of hell.

Craigers17
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Jul 23 2023, 04:50 PM) *

Same here....carb'd 914....I only run no ethanol .....I think it's 90 Octane at the station I get it from. Costs a little more, but worth it IMHO.
mate914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 23 2023, 06:35 PM) *

Wow... That is a lot. Ethanol gas = engine killer.

Matt flag.gif
r_towle
Ethanol is ruining my old cars fuel systems.
It’s a shame, we should stop doing it.
73-914
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Jul 23 2023, 06:50 PM) *

agree.gif Me 2
JmuRiz
Jealous of you guys with E0 fuel available…no place anywhere close to me.
mlindner
We are lucky in the mid-west with Quik-Trip gas stations all have 0%. Great for the old car, boats, lawn mower.
9146GUY
Sheetz has it also. HQed in Penn.
Root_Werks
If you can get 0E gas, run it 100% of the time for reasons already stated.

Lucky in the PNW there are tons of boats = lots of 0E pumps. Usually either 89 or 91 and yes, a bit more expensive than the Ethanol infused junk.
NARP74
Ours is 87 but at this altitude it is OK. Murphy Express carries it all over the state. You could try HEET as a water remover product if needed.
Garland
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Jul 23 2023, 05:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Jul 23 2023, 04:50 PM) *

Same here....carb'd 914....I only run no ethanol .....I think it's 90 Octane at the station I get it from. Costs a little more, but worth it IMHO.

agree.gif

I sleep better, knowing I’m not pumping, and storing water in my 914 fuel tank’s.
NARP74
Just found this site for checking where you are. Not optimized for mobile yet, but should work.
https://www.pure-gas.org/
Al Meredith
I'm sure the engine will not start on pure alcohol. Notice if an indy car stalls they spray gas in the intake to get it started . Running is OK
NARP74
Any cleaning effects on the fuel system of running E0 ?
914Sixer
That's the question for sure. It depends where you look.
Olympic 914
1 station near me sells it, $6.00 gal , I only use it for the lawn equip. Mower, trimmer etc.

They also sell race gas 100+ octane
Freezin 914
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Jul 24 2023, 05:59 PM) *

1 station near me sells it, $6.00 gal , I only use it for the lawn equip. Mower, trimmer etc.

They also sell race gas 100+ octane

At $6 that adds up. 3.99 here as of today. Haven’t purchased any race gas in years.
wonkipop
i imagine we are eventually going to cop this corn/sugar cane shit juice down here in north antarctica.

but at the moment we don't.

best bit - the 914 lowly L jet runs just sweet on the 91 octane cheap bowser supply.
all my other high strung euro cars have to be fed the high grade drugs.
bit of a price difference.
ClayPerrine
In our factory six, we have to run the Premium of the gasoline/ethanol mix they sell here to keep it from having detonation under load. The motor is a dead stock 914-6 engine with the factory carbs. Mind you, this is basically a 911T motor, and should not need premium, just regular gas. I have backed off the timing to keep it from detonating, but that just takes all the oomf out of the motor.

We recently had a station open up near us that sells gasoline with no ethanol in it. We are going to give it a try on the next tank of gas in the six.
Jamie
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 25 2023, 05:18 AM) *

In our factory six, we have to run the Premium of the gasoline/ethanol mix they sell here to keep it from having detonation under load. The motor is a dead stock 914-g engine with the factory carbs. Mind you, this is basically a 911T motor, and should not need premium, just regular gas. I have backed off the timing to keep it from detonating, but that just takes all the oomf out of the motor.

We recently had a station open up near us that sells gasoline with no ethanol in it. We are going to give it a try on the next tank of gas in the six.

Clay, could this be attributed to the typical extra hot heat conditions in TX? Does ethanol mix react to temperature extremes more so than straight gas? confused24.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Jamie @ Jul 25 2023, 08:27 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 25 2023, 05:18 AM) *

In our factory six, we have to run the Premium of the gasoline/ethanol mix they sell here to keep it from having detonation under load. The motor is a dead stock 914-g engine with the factory carbs. Mind you, this is basically a 911T motor, and should not need premium, just regular gas. I have backed off the timing to keep it from detonating, but that just takes all the oomf out of the motor.

Clay, could this be attributed to the typical extra hot heat conditions in TX? Does ethanol mix react to temperature extremes more so than straight gas? confused24.gif

It is not related to the air temp. It happens in mid winter too.

TomE
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jul 23 2023, 08:08 PM) *

Jealous of you guys with E0 fuel available…no place anywhere close to me.

If you have a lake or river next to you someone is selling it. We had to do a little looking even though we have rivers on all sides of us. The web site someone told us about isn't really up to date.
Txbentleyboy
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jul 24 2023, 10:04 AM) *

Just found this site for checking where you are. Not optimized for mobile yet, but should work.
https://www.pure-gas.org/

Very useful site especially for road trips.
Jett
Going to E0 made our older cars happy … bought two of the 5.5 gallon race jugs and a $50 gas pump off Amazon. Fill up one car and bring back another 20 gallons to top up the others…

For our daily driver we put in a fuel additive with every tank that helps keep the injectors running well.

https://www.amazon.com/VP-Racing-Fuels-Moto...sr=8-5&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L5N7CF...=UTF8&psc=1
ClayPerrine
Started using the No ethanol gas in the factory six. It was 90 octane vs the 93 for the ethanol gas. So it would ping on the no ethanol gas. VP octane booster fixes that, and the carbs on the engine are much happier.

So we have to buy a can of octane booster before we fill up. It is not really a hardship as we don't daily drive the car.

914Sixer
Blue gas ie no ethanol this morning in San Angelo
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 7 2024, 07:06 AM) *

Yea... it is really expensive. That sucks. And we can't talk about why it is so expensive on here.

Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 7 2024, 08:02 AM) *

Yea... it is really expensive. That sucks. And we can't talk about why it is so expensive on here.

Sure we can . Extra small eggs cost more than large eggs cause chickens with tight butts are in short demand
StratPlayer
That's the only kind of gas my car knows. 89 oct. here 3.85 a gal. I went to the RRC in steamboat springs colo. last sept. I filled up at a conoco station there 91 oct. EF. Drove from steamboat to salt lake city 335 miles, I burned 9 gals of gas on that trip.
Rufus
The flat level part at the bottom of my tank is coated with rust. Presumably from running ethanol prior to my ownership. I’ve used E0 exclusively because it’s not hydroscopic like ethanol. Especially important with a vented fuel system.

And because my Weber carbed RS spec 2.7L has 8.5:1 compression, it’s happy on the 90+/- octane of E0 available near me. Higher ratio engines may really want ethanol for the octane boost
Spoke
Only E0 gas near me is 89 octane. Put one fill up in the 914 and my 2056 carbed engine popped like crazy. I'm back to Sunoco 94 octane gas. All is good now.
Mikey914
I use Ethanol free on all my older cars. Its cleaner and no problems with hises. I had to replacectge fuel line on my 911, donr plan on doing that again for quite some time.

Side note NPC. Chevron, who used to carry the best fuel, quietly swapped B5 to B20. I found out when my check engine lifgt came on.

Drained the tank, put in B5 with a can of Seafoam, light went out in kess than 100 mikes. Fortunately my nechanic had already seen this with another customer. 1st question.... Sis you fill your tank at Chevron recebtly? Why yes, .. ....... .

What really pissed me off is they still charge B5 pricrs for B20.

Avoid Chevron, what they once were is not who they are now.
Now tgwy are just more expensive!
mlindner
Always none ethanol, About $4.00/gal for the last five years in our 914-6 GT Tribute 2.2 S with PMO"s. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
fixer34
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 7 2024, 09:02 AM) *

Expensive? I'll buy that all day long.. E15 +/- is that price at the cheap stations, depending on the day.
I don't think I've seen no-E gas around here in a long time (Illinois-land of corn...)
One place had 'racing gas' at $9.99/gal
mb911
QUOTE(mlindner @ Jul 24 2023, 03:32 AM) *

We are lucky in the mid-west with Quik-Trip gas stations all have 0%. Great for the old car, boats, lawn mower.

No just by you. By me it’s ethonal I have to go to the next county to get no ethonal
JmuRiz
I’d have to drive 45 min each way to get some, doesn’t exactly work out sad.gif if there was some close I’d get it even if it were $2/gal more than the crazy costs around here.
sechszylinder
I‘ve had no problems running my 2.0 l 4 cylinder d-jet engine with E5 and E10 as sold in germany at our gas stations.
At least 10 years of trouble free driving …
One thing is for sure, that you should have an eye on your fuel lines, since they get brittle over the time, if you do not have ethanol capable hoses.

I really didn't get it it. What should happen, besides the fuel lines getting brittle, which can be avoided by using the right ones?
I mean, the fuel system of our cars is really that simple and , correct me if i‘m wrong, even the knock resistance is higher with an higher amount of ethanol ?

br
benno
mb911
I should clarify the next county is a 10 minute drive so I use 91 non ethonal in my 914, lawnmower, boat but my kids use 87 ethonal on their 944s cause well they are young and cheap. They do sell race fuel 100 octane locally for 6-7 dollars per gallon
Superhawk996
Baffled by two things:

1. This thread is still going strong 6 months later.
2. Folks don’t realize ethanol in gasoline is nothing new.

Ethanol in gas history.
https://www.eia.gov/kids/history-of-energy/...nes/ethanol.php

Lots of people were getting “Gasahol” without even realizing it before pump sampling and labeling requirements came into existence. Ethanol has been around since 914s were new.

Do I favor its nationwide mandate? Nope.

Would I rather have pure gas? Yup.

Is Ethanol blend the worst thing to happen in the automotive world and responsible for all the fuel system issues it’s blamed for? Nope.

Anyone remember having to add HEET (alcohol) additive to gas in the dead cold of winter to keep fuel systems from freezing? I sure do!
mb911
So the unique thing for me at least as part of my K&n filter test for a former employer I also did fuel testing. I really stay out as much as possible of several threads because everyone argues. Those typically are welding ( seems everyone is an expert ) k&n filters, and fuel. I caved on the last one just now.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 10 2024, 02:02 PM) *

So the unique thing for me at least as part of my K&n filter test for a former employer I also did fuel testing. I really stay out as much as possible of several threads because everyone argues. Those typically are welding ( seems everyone is an expert ) k&n filters, and fuel. I caved on the last one just now.

I need to heed your wisdom

laugh.gif pray.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 10 2024, 10:56 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 10 2024, 02:02 PM) *

I need to heed your wisdom

laugh.gif pray.gif

The welding thing bothers me the most but I just bite my lip. I equate that this- just because I own a computer does not mean I am a computer programmer but for some reason if my neighbor buys a welder they have become and expert and share all kinds of “knowledge “ lol. If you search I once did a huge explanation on welding /types/ brands and within 2 posts they were discussing how awesome their harbor freight flux core machine welded in some structural panels . blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.